[comp.sys.sgi] Bug with /etc/config/login.options?

mccalpin@perelandra.cms.udel.edu (John D. McCalpin) (03/02/91)

I just added the 'passwdreq' option in the login.options file.  The
system still allows rsh commands to operate if the apprpriate .netrc
entries are set up, but it demands that the user change his/her passwd
if a rlogin is attempted from such a machine!

I think this is a bug, not a feature.  Please raise your right hand if
you agree....   :-)
--
John D. McCalpin			mccalpin@perelandra.cms.udel.edu
Assistant Professor			mccalpin@brahms.udel.edu

Dan Karron@UCBVAX.BERKELEY.EDU (03/03/91)

I have noticed this too. I think that it is a real bug. Most of my users
end up changing their password and complaining to me. I have not had the
time to run this down, but I am glad that you noticed it too.

Cheers!

dan.
| karron@nyu.edu (E-mail alias that will always find me)                      |
| Fax: 212 263 7190           *           Dan Karron, Research Associate      |
| . . . . . . . . . . . . . . *           New York University Medical Center  |
| 560 First Avenue           \*\    Pager <1> (212) 397 9330                  |
| New York, New York 10016    \**\        <2> 10896   <3> <your-number-here>  |
| (212) 263 5210               \***\_________________________________________ |
| Main machine: karron.med.nyu.edu (128.122.135.3) IRIS 85GT                  |

NOTE PHONE NUMBER CHANGE: The Med Ctr has changed from 340 to 263 exchange.

glennrp@BRL.MIL (Glenn Randers-Pehrson, TBD|WMB) (03/03/91)

 > From: mccalpin@perelandra.cms.udel.edu (John D. McCalpin)
 > Subject: Bug with /etc/config/login.options?
 > I just added the 'passwdreq' option in the login.options file.  The
 > system still allows rsh commands to operate if the apprpriate .netrc
 > entries are set up, but it demands that the user change his/her passwd
 > if a rlogin is attempted from such a machine!

	Same thing happened to me this week.  220GTX running IRIX 3.3.1.

 > I think this is a bug, not a feature.  Please raise your right hand if
 > you agree....   :-)

	Right.

	By the way, I also use "syslog=fail" in login.options and it
seems to work ok.  Is there something equivalent I can do on the 3000
series machines to record login failures?

...Glenn Randers-Pehrson <glennrp@brl.mil>

johnson@EULER.JSC.NASA.GOV (Stan Johnson) (03/03/91)

We discovered that rlogin didn't work correctly to 4Ds with the "passwdreq"
option enabled; the user was requested to enter a new password at each
login.  The SGI hotline people determined that there was a bug in /bin/login,
though they indicated that there had not been many complaints about this
problem.  They sent us a new /bin/login; I don't know if they posted it as
well.  If not, maybe they will make it available via anonymous ftp on
sgi.com if enough customers request it.  (The bug fix for getty and uugetty
IS available on sgi.com via anonymous ftp.)
-Stan Johnson
 NASA / Johnson Space Center
 (713) 483-4692
 e-mail: johnson@euler.jsc.nasa.gov

arc@kaibab.wpd.sgi.com (Andrew Cherenson) (03/03/91)

In article <MCCALPIN.91Mar1183950@pereland.cms.udel.edu> mccalpin@perelandra.cms.udel.edu (John D. McCalpin) writes:
>I just added the 'passwdreq' option in the login.options file.  The
>system still allows rsh commands to operate if the apprpriate .netrc
>entries are set up, but it demands that the user change his/her passwd
>if a rlogin is attempted from such a machine!
>
>I think this is a bug, not a feature.  Please raise your right hand if
>you agree....   :-)
>--
>John D. McCalpin			mccalpin@perelandra.cms.udel.edu
>Assistant Professor			mccalpin@brahms.udel.edu
>College of Marine Studies, U. Del.	J.MCCALPIN/OMNET

It has been fixed for the next major release of IRIX.