[comp.sys.sgi] BSD dump/restore for SGI

mike@BRL.MIL (Mike Muuss) (03/09/91)

I am please to announce that the port of the Berkeley DUMP and RESTORE
utilities to the SGI is now available.

This work is largely the effort of Ken Lalonde at the University of
Toronto;  Ajit Mayya at SGI and I have had the privelege of making
additional contributions.

Please note that this software is provided "as is", and you use it at
your own risk.  I recommend that you conduct a variety of tests of this
software before entrusting the backup of your system to this software.

This software is available *only* via anonymous FTP to host FTP.BRL.MIL.
Use user name "anonymous", and your E-mail address as the password.
Then, type:
	binary
	cd info-iris
	get dump.tar.Z
	get Backup.sh
	quit

Note that "Backup.sh" is the Shell script that the operators at BRL use;
you may find it convenient to use as a baseline for your own site.

	Best,
	 -Mike

johnson@EULER.JSC.NASA.GOV (Stan Johnson) (03/11/91)

Our initial testing of the dump/restore programs for SGI 4Ds has been very
encouraging.  I was able to use remote dump and restore from a 4D-25 (3.3.1)
to the 8mm drive on a Convex 201 (8.1) with no problems.

We still have a few 3130s sitting around; is there a version of dump/restore
available for these machines as well?

-Stan Johnson
 NASA / Johnson Space Center
 Houston, TX  77058
 (713) 483-4692
 johnson@euler.jsc.nasa.gov

srp@babar.mmwb.ucsf.edu (Scott R. Presnell) (03/16/91)

mike@BRL.MIL (Mike Muuss) writes:

>I am please to announce that the port of the Berkeley DUMP and RESTORE
>utilities to the SGI is now available.

Thanks to the contributors for making dump/restore available to the general
public.

Stupid question #37: Can someone suggest a density (for the "d" option) and
a size (for the "s" option) combination for the standard 120 minute 8mm
exabyte tape/drive?

	Thanks.

	- Scott
--
Scott Presnell				        +1 (415) 476-9890
Pharm. Chem., S-926				Internet: srp@cgl.ucsf.edu

jwk@Scripps.EDU (John Kupec) (03/16/91)

In article <srp.669056932@babar.mmwb.ucsf.edu> srp@babar.mmwb.ucsf.edu (Scott R. Presnell) writes:
>mike@BRL.MIL (Mike Muuss) writes:
[ thank yous omitted]

>Stupid question #37: Can someone suggest a density (for the "d" option) and
>a size (for the "s" option) combination for the standard 120 minute 8mm
>exabyte tape/drive?

I got these suggestions out of a Sun rag 2-3 years ago.  Seem to work
well + give accurate estimate of tape use:

density = 54000
length = 6000

--
John Kupec, Agouron Pharmaceuticals, Inc., La Jolla, CA
jwk@scripps.edu or uunet!agouron!kupec

sdempsey@UCSD.EDU (Steve Dempsey) (03/16/91)

Does anyone know if DUMP for the IRIS will work on active filesystems?
The version we run on our BSD machines includes code to prevent corruption
of the dump volumes by rejecting files that change while dump is running.
Steve Dempsey					voice:	  (619) 534-0208
Dept. of Chemistry Computer Facility, 0314	UUCP:	  ucsd!sdempsey
University of Calif. at San Diego		BITNET:	  sdempsey@ucsd
9500 Gilman Drive				INTERNET: sdempsey@ucsd.edu
La Jolla, CA 92093-0314				fax:	  (619) 534-0058

ken@cs.toronto.edu (Ken Lalonde) (03/19/91)

Dump doesn't skip files that change during the dump, but it is careful
about ensuring that what it writes is consistent.  If a file changes
size after the header record for it has been written, dump pads with
zero blocks or ignores the new data, so that the amount dumped agrees
with the header.  Inodes that change from directories to
non-directories (or vice versa) are skipped.

If you dump an active filesystem, there is a small risk that files
changing under dump will show up scrambled or not at all.  That's why I
always unmount the disk when using dump to move a filesystem to another
disk or to archive it.  For our routine backups, the risk is acceptable.
Taking the machines down for dumps sure isn't.  We've been doing this
for years without problems.

Ken Lalonde