[comp.sys.sgi] FAQ: sendmail and mail

jamison@yuma.acns.colostate.edu (Jamie Gulden) (03/19/91)

    Speaking of frequently asked questions...

    Why is the SGI mail system so much harder to set up then others? I
have spent several days trying to get the sendmail.cf to work correctly
and I finally just borrowed one from a sun with a few modifications. It
now can come up with the correct machine name and mechanism but, I am
now having problems getting it to send and receive mail.

    I am running a 4D/25 with ethernet and I don't care about UUCP.  The
SGI only has to deliver mail to itself otherwise it should make sure
the machine name includes the domain (add local domain if none) and
send it off to our mail server.  If anyone has a working sendmail.cf
could they please email it to me, I would be very greatfull.

Thanks, Jamie

jamison@yuma.ACNS.ColoState.EDU or jamison@vangogh.VIS.ColoState.EDU

paul@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu (Paul Pomes - UofIllinois CSO) (03/22/91)

jamison@yuma.acns.colostate.edu (Jamie Gulden) writes:

>    Why is the SGI mail system so much harder to set up then others? I
>have spent several days trying to get the sendmail.cf to work correctly
>and I finally just borrowed one from a sun with a few modifications. It
>now can come up with the correct machine name and mechanism but, I am
>now having problems getting it to send and receive mail.

The definition of the local mailer is probably wrong in the SUN file
for use on the IRIS.  Check the old sendmail.cf file and note the
settings for the Mprog and Mlocal mailers.  Copy the F= flag, mailer
name, and program arguments to the new file.  Leave the sending and
receiving ruleset (S=, R=) values alone.

/pbp
--
         Paul Pomes

UUCP: {att,iuvax,uunet}!uiucuxc!paul   Internet, BITNET: paul@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu
US Mail:  UofIllinois, CSO, 1304 W Springfield Ave, Urbana, IL  61801-2910

jamison@boulder.ColoState.EDU (Jamie Gulden) (03/23/91)

In article <1991Mar22.054840.8174@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> Paul-Pomes@uiuc.edu writes:
>jamison@yuma.acns.colostate.edu (Jamie Gulden) writes:
>
>>and I just borrowed (sendmail.cf) from a sun with a few modifications. It
>>now can come up with the correct machine name and mechanism but, I am
>>now having problems getting it to send and receive mail.
>
>The definition of the local mailer is probably wrong in the SUN file
>for use on the IRIS.  Check the old sendmail.cf file and note the
>settings for the Mprog and Mlocal mailers.  Copy the F= flag, mailer
>name, and program arguments to the new file.
>         Paul Pomes

    Already did this, but thanks anyway.   Jamie