[comp.sys.sgi] How to use DEC VMS from SGI telnet window running as iris-ansi-net type

HERBER@FNALA.FNAL.GOV ("Randolph J. Herber, CD/DCD/SP, x2966") (03/14/91)

From:	FNDCD::NAGY         "Frank J. Nagy:VAX Wizard&Loose Cannon" 12-MAR-1991 19:47:58.65
To:	FNAL::HERBER
CC:
Subj:	RE: Can you help?  Would you help?

The answer to using telnet from an SGI (iris-ansi-net terminal type)
on VMS is to SET TERMINAL/ANSI after you login.

hendrix@dtoa1.dt.navy.mil (Hendrix) (03/23/91)

In article <6478@oasys.dt.navy.mil> hendrix@dtoa1.dt.navy.mil (Hendrix) writes:
>In article <910313120022.27405a95@FNALA.FNAL.GOV> HERBER@FNALA.FNAL.GOV ("Rando
>lph J. Herber, CD/DCD/SP, x2966") writes:
>>From:   FNDCD::NAGY         "Frank J. Nagy:VAX Wizard&Loose Cannon" 12-MAR-199
>1
>>Subj:   RE: Can you help?  Would you help?
>>
>>The answer to using telnet from an SGI (iris-ansi-net terminal type)
>>on VMS is to SET TERMINAL/ANSI after you login.

This still doesn't seem to work for me when I try to use TPU or EDT editors.
Specifically, when I scroll down through the file (using the arrow keys)
only the bottom line of
the screen changes.  I have set screen size to 24x80 on SGI.  If you have
something that works please mail or post the output from show terminal on
the VAX.  BTW I'm using VMS4.6 and Wollongong WIN/TCP 3.1 (maybe 3.2),
IRIX 3.3.1 on a 4D/85GT

I have also tried setting the terminal on the VAX to
SET TERM/WIDTH=80/PAGE=24/ANSI/INSERT/TAB
same problem.

hendrix@dtoa1.dt.navy.mil

eddc@opus.lerc.nasa.gov (Dave Carek) (03/26/91)

In article <6534@oasys.dt.navy.mil> hendrix@dtoa1.dt.navy.mil (Dane Hendrix) writes:
>In article <6478@oasys.dt.navy.mil> hendrix@dtoa1.dt.navy.mil (Hendrix) writes:
>>In article <910313120022.27405a95@FNALA.FNAL.GOV> HERBER@FNALA.FNAL.GOV ("Rando
>>lph J. Herber, CD/DCD/SP, x2966") writes:
>>>From:   FNDCD::NAGY         "Frank J. Nagy:VAX Wizard&Loose Cannon" 12-MAR-199
>>1
>>>Subj:   RE: Can you help?  Would you help?
>>>
>>>The answer to using telnet from an SGI (iris-ansi-net terminal type)
>>>on VMS is to SET TERMINAL/ANSI after you login.
>>
>This still doesn't seem to work for me when I try to use TPU or EDT editors.
>Specifically, when I scroll down through the file (using the arrow keys)
>only the bottom line of
>the screen changes.  I have set screen size to 24x80 on SGI.  If you have
>something that works please mail or post the output from show terminal on
>the VAX.  BTW I'm using VMS4.6 and Wollongong WIN/TCP 3.1 (maybe 3.2),
>IRIX 3.3.1 on a 4D/85GT
>

>I have also tried setting the terminal on the VAX to
>SET TERM/WIDTH=80/PAGE=24/ANSI/INSERT/TAB
>same problem.
>
>hendrix@dtoa1.dt.navy.mil

This problem exists when a SET TERM/DEV=VT100 (or whatever VT device) gets
executed from your LOGIN.COM or the system SYLOGIN.COM on the vax. It
doesn't matter if you subsequently issue the SET TERM/ANSI after because
the device will still be set to VT00.  To fix this, change any
SET TERM/DEV=VTXXX in your LOGIN.COM to SET TERM/ANSI/DEV=UNKNOWN or add the
SET TERM/ANSI/DEV=UNKNOWN to your LOGIN.COM if no SET TERM/DEV=XXX line exists.

I recommend putting it in as the last line in your LOGIN.COM

| David Carek                   |   phone: 216-433-8396               |
| NASA Lewis Research Center    |                                     |
| Cleveland, Ohio  44135        |   email: eddc@opus.lerc.nasa.gov    |
| Engineer -> An innovative imaginative scientist who must design the |
|       improbable using the impossible on a budget that is invisible |