[comp.sys.sgi] 4DDN

messerli@biophys.zir.ethz.ch (Marius Messerli) (12/15/89)

I installed 4DDN on a SGI and was very happy to see it running ...
for about two hours. Then the system got unstable. Sometimes I
could not even login again and had to turn off the power. In any
case the SGI was not reachable from ethernet any more. The people
at SG Zuerich suggest it could be a router that causes the problem
while out decnet administrator thinks its not. Does anybody have heard
of this problem before and has some hints to get 4DDN running ?

Thanks for any help!
					Marius.
					(messerli@kontiki.zir.ethz.ch)
					(messerli@czheth5a.bitnet)

finnd%vax.runit.unit.uninett@NAC.NO (Finn Drablos) (12/18/89)

Yes, we have had problems with 4DDN. But it may depend on the IRIX level.
When we first installed 4DDN on our 4D/70GT, it would run for about an
hour (or even less), and then everything locked up. In some cases we could
log in via telnet and do a reboot, but sometimes only the reset button
worked. Since then we have upgraded IRIX two times, and are running 3.1D.
We still don't like to run 4DDN for any length of time, as the IRIS after
some days will start to slow down, and will need a reboot. So normally we
start decnet, do the file transfer, and then kill it again. Even this
seems to cause problems sometimes, so just to be safe we do a reboot at
some convinient time if we have been using decnet recently.
So what is the problem ? We have asked the SGI office in Sweden. They said
that SGI knows about the problem, but could not give any more information.
So we prefer to use ftp whenever possible. It is much easier to use. The
problem is that this is mainly a VAX/VMS site, and not all machines have
TCP/IP.

==================
Finn Drablos                 PHONE +47 7 597710        FAX +47 7 597708
MR-Senteret, SINTEF          MHS(EAN)    : finnd@vax.runit.unit.uninett
N-7034 TRONDHEIM, NORWAY     EARN/BITNET : drabloes@norunit

jleong@cheese.wpd.sgi.com (James Leong) (12/19/89)

The 4DDN release level was not mentioned, but the 4DDN system hang problem
sounds familiar. There was a serious problem with the 3.1D 4DDN kernel
getting into a state where mbufs were being consumed but never freed. This
memory leakage eventually caused the system to hang. The bug has been fixed
in 3.1G, 3.2, and 3.2.1.

James Leong
Silicon Graphics, Inc
jleong@sgi.com

levine%351m.decnet@SCFB.NWC.NAVY.MIL ("351M::LEVINE") (03/30/91)

	Does anyone know of software that allows a user on an IRIS
running IRIX 3.3.1 with 4DDN to send and receive mail with other DECnet
nodes?

Michael N. LeVine  Naval Weapons Center, China Lake, Ca 93555, USA
Internet: levine%fidler.decnet@scfb.nwc.navy.mil,levine%fidler.decnet@26.3.0.85
(619) 939-2614  avn  437-2614

 "Waiter, there's a bug in my soup!"
 "No, Sir, it's not a bug, it's a feature!"

doelz@urz.unibas.ch (03/30/91)

In article <9103291756.aa17838@VGR.BRL.MIL>, levine%351m.decnet@SCFB.NWC.NAVY.MIL ("351M::LEVINE") writes:

> 	Does anyone know of software that allows a user on an IRIS
> running IRIX 3.3.1 with 4DDN to send and receive mail with other DECnet
> nodes?

4DDN 2.0 will support this feature. If you are running this already, you
must define 4DDN in the sendmail.cf as special mailer.,
Regards
Reinhard