[comp.sys.sgi] DVI previewer

amburn@blackbird.afit.af.mil (Elton P. Amburn) (05/30/90)

Recently someone posted some information about a dvi file previewer
for the SGI 4D machines.  I believe the name was texsgi.  I (foolishly)
did not save the network address for the source code.  Would
someone please send me e-mail at
	amburn@blackbird.afit.af.mil
with the address.  Thanks.

loki@physics.mcgill.ca (Loki Jorgenson Rm421) (05/30/90)

	This has been submitted to info-iris because the person whom I
am trying to reach has an unreachable address.

For: blackbird!amburn@lll-winken.llnl.gov
Subject: Re:  dvi previewer

	According to my info, you can get texsgi at vgr.brl.mil.
This is 192.5.23.6 according to my nameserver.  I haven't
picked it up yet myself but I intend to.  If it isn't there
and you find it elsewhere, let me know.

Regards,

Loki Jorgenson			node:  loki@physics.mcgill.ca
Physics, McGill University	fax:   (514) 398-3733
Montreal Quebec CANADA		phone: (514) 398-6531

  <....  Free the mind and the police will surely follow  ....>

mg@ (Mike Gigante) (04/08/91)

svec5@menudo.uh.edu (T.C. Zhao) writes:

>While we are talking about SGI, could someone tell me if there
>is a DVI viewer for the SGI written in GL ? I know of xdvi but I
>do not have the X developmen package. Or if anyone can mailed
>me a uuencoded executable xdvi, I will appreciate very much.(by
>the way, the machine is an SGI-4D/210GTX runing IRIS 3.2.1).

>Thanks in advance.  (svec5@menudo.uh.edu)

Not xdvi, but the program `texsgi' is a DVI previewer written in native
GL. It is available as both a binary and as source code (with a man
page) on godzilla.cgl.rmit.oz.au (131.170.14.2).

For reasons that have been explained to me by someone at SGI, GTX
performance is worse than expected (I used rectwrite/lrectwrite). It
performs very well on PIs.

Mike Gigante
mg@godzilla.cgl.rmit.oz.au

emery@cs.utexas.edu (Emery Berger) (04/10/91)

In article <mg.671056191@godzilla> mg@ (Mike Gigante) writes:
>Not xdvi, but the program `texsgi' is a DVI previewer written in native
>GL. It is available as both a binary and as source code (with a man
>page) on godzilla.cgl.rmit.oz.au (131.170.14.2).

In the United States, this program is available from ftp.brl.mil
and is located in the /pub/info-iris (not sure on the subdirectory,
but it's definitely on this site).  <testimonial from proud SGI
user omitted.>

Of course, if you *want* to reach out and touch Australia, go right
ahead :-).

-- Emery