[comp.sys.sgi] Problems with kermit

martin@zoo.toronto.edu (Martin Hofmann) (04/09/91)

In article <1991Apr8.163047.9040@odin.corp.sgi.com> portuesi@tweezers.esd.sgi.com (Michael Portuesi) writes:
>In article <1991Apr5.222307.5567@eng.umd.edu>, Naiming Shen writes:
>> I am ordering a cable(null modem) to link my PC and IRIS. Can someone
>> tell me which communication software on IRIS is best to use to trasfer
>> files between those two machines. I have PCPlus on PC.
>

>I own a Toshiba laptop to use for light-duty computing tasks when
>I'm away from my 4D/20.  I find the most trouble-free file transfer
>solution is Kermit for MS-DOS communicating with the Kermit
>program we supply in 4Dgifts.

I also use kermit to transfer to/from a PC, mainly to take files home.
I have however noticed a problem using wild cards in transfers.  The problem
occurs when I try invoke server mode on the IRIS and then get *.c.  The error
message says something like, no files found.  Using debug mode on kermit seems
to point to kermit on the IRIS not properly exapnding the wild cards.  Has
anyone else had this problem and has anyone got a fix for it?
--
The world is sacred.  You cannot improve it.	| Martin Hofmann, U of Toronto
If you try to change it, you will ruin it.	| martin@zoo.toronto.edu

portuesi@tweezers.esd.sgi.com (Michael Portuesi) (04/09/91)

In article <1991Apr9.132543.6472@zoo.toronto.edu>, Martin Hofmann writes:
> I also use kermit to transfer to/from a PC, mainly to take files home.
> I have however noticed a problem using wild cards in transfers.  The problem
> occurs when I try invoke server mode on the IRIS and then get *.c.  The error
> message says something like, no files found.  Using debug mode on kermit seems
> to point to kermit on the IRIS not properly exapnding the wild cards.  Has
> anyone else had this problem and has anyone got a fix for it?

Yes, I too have noticed that Kermit doesn't seem to expand wildcards
properly when you give them to its command interpreter.  A
workaround is to use the shell to expand wildcards:

kermit -s *.c *.h

will send all of the .c and .h files in the current directory to your
PC (or whatever).

I haven't tracked down the reason why Kermit won't do wildcard
expansion by itself.  Perhaps in my copious free time...

m.
__
\/  Michael Portuesi   Silicon Graphics, Inc.   portuesi@sgi.com

"Republicans understand the importance of bondage between a
 mother and child." -- Vice President Dan Quayle

russell@ccu1.aukuni.ac.nz (Russell J Fulton;ccc032u) (04/10/91)

martin@zoo.toronto.edu (Martin Hofmann) writes:

>I also use kermit to transfer to/from a PC, mainly to take files home.
>I have however noticed a problem using wild cards in transfers.  The problem
>occurs when I try invoke server mode on the IRIS and then get *.c.  The error
>message says something like, no files found.  Using debug mode on kermit seems
>to point to kermit on the IRIS not properly exapnding the wild cards.  Has
>anyone else had this problem and has anyone got a fix for it?

We have had various problems with the kermit supplied on the IRIS. In the
end I got the latest distribution of Unix kermit from Columbia and compiled
it without problems. Sofar it seems to be performing well  although I have
not had time to check that all the problems have been fixed.

Cheers, Russell.

--
Russell Fulton, Computer Center, University of Auckland, New Zealand.
<rj_fulton@aukuni.ac.nz>

rainer@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Rainer Malzbender) (04/10/91)

In article <1991Apr9.132543.6472@zoo.toronto.edu> martin@zoo.toronto.edu (Martin Hofmann) writes:

>I have however noticed a problem using wild cards in transfers.  The problem
>occurs when I try invoke server mode on the IRIS and then get *.c.  The error

I don't use server mode. Just type 'kermit -s *.c' on the Iris. The shell
will expand the wild cards. Add the "-p e" option to set even parity
(wrong parity causes problems for people around here about once a day), and
"-i" if you want to transfer binary files. The whole process requires less
typing than server mode.

--
Rainer Malzbender
Dept. of Physics (303)492-6829

mgoss@UTDALLAS.EDU (Mike Goss) (04/10/91)

> I also use kermit to transfer to/from a PC, mainly to take files home.
> I have however noticed a problem using wild cards in transfers.  The problem
> occurs when I try invoke server mode on the IRIS and then get *.c.  The error
> message says something like, no files found. Using debug mode on kermit seems
> to point to kermit on the IRIS not properly exapnding the wild cards.  Has
> anyone else had this problem and has anyone got a fix for it?
> --
> The world is sacred.  You cannot improve it.	| Martin Hofmann, U of Toronto
> If you try to change it, you will ruin it.	| martin@zoo.toronto.edu
> If you try to hold it, you will lose it.	| martin@zoo.utoronto.ca
> 	Lao Tsu, "Tao Te Ching"			| uunet!attcan!utzoo!martin

I've used the kermit '-s' (send) switch to send files to a PC with a wildcard.
For text files, execute the command:

	kermit -s *.c

on the IRIS, then issue a `receive' command on the PC.  For binary files:

	kermit -i -s *.xxx

then use the `send' commmand (the PC treats text and binary files as
equivalent, since MS-DOS text files already have CR/LF as end of line).

Mike Goss (mgoss@utdallas.edu)