[comp.sys.sgi] ftp problem with tcsh

brad@lsr-vax.UUCP (Brad J Zoltick) (04/04/91)

Does anyone know the fix required to use ftp with a non-standard
shell like the tcsh?  tcsh is great.  However, ftp fails with the
message

	"access denied"

after entering one's login name.  The problem is with the pw_shell field
being set /bin/tcsh.  ftp will not accept this.

Thanks,

	Brad J Zoltick

National Institutes of Health
Laboratory of Sensorimotor Research

E-mail:  ...uunet!lsr-vax!brad	(UUCP)
	brad@helix.nih.gov	(INTERNET)

shenkin@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Peter S. Shenkin) (04/04/91)

In article <9104031638.AA09698@> brad@lsr-vax.UUCP (Brad J Zoltick) writes:

>Does anyone know the fix required to use ftp with a non-standard
>shell like the tcsh?  tcsh is great.  However, ftp fails with the
>message
>
>	"access denied"

I ftp into and out of my 4d25tg (3.2.1) all the time.  I run tcsh and
have no such problem.

	-P.
************************f*u*cn*rd*ths*u*cn*gt*a*gd*jb**************************
Peter S. Shenkin, Department of Chemistry, Barnard College, New York, NY  10027
(212)854-1418  shenkin@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu(Internet)  shenkin@cunixf(Bitnet)
***"In scenic New York... where the third world is only a subway ride away."***

laplante@ocgy.ubc.ca (Denis Laplante) (04/11/91)

I have seen a similar problem on a Sun system, don't know if it's
relevant here.
From the SunOs 4.1 manual for /etc/chsh :
     The new login
     shell  must  be  one  of  the  approved  shells  listed   in
     /etc/shells  unless  you are the super-user.  If /etc/shells
     does not exist, the only shells that may  be  specified  are
     /bin/sh and /bin/csh.