[comp.sys.sgi] NIS master not running IRIX OS

phaneuf@ireq.hydro.qc.ca (Daniel Phaneuf) (04/11/91)

I am having some problems with the Workspace and the System Manager on
our 4D/310 running 4D1-3.3.2. The problem is well known since it is
listed inr the 4D1-3.3.2 Release and Installation Notes Manual. I
tried to add the following lines in the /etc/rpc file on my Sun NIS master:

sgi_toolkitbus	391001
sgi_fam         391002

From the "ypcat rpc | egrep 'sgi_fam|sgi_toolkit', I can see that both
entries are there but I still get the following error messages when I
try to fire up the Workspace and the System Manager:

Can't connect with file access monitor

What am I doing wrong?
   Daniel Phaneuf                    Institut de Recherche d'Hydro-Quebec,
   Administrateur de systemes        Montee Ste-Julie, Varennes,
   (System Administrator)            P. Quebec, Canada, J3X 1S1
                                     Tel: 514-652-8074 Fax: 514-652-8309
                                     e-mail: phaneuf@ireq.hydro.qc.ca

jesse@camelot.sgi.com (Jesse Rendleman) (04/12/91)

In article <91Apr11112549> phaneuf@ireq.hydro.qc.ca (Daniel Phaneuf) writes:

>I am having some problems with the Workspace and the System Manager on
>our 4D/310 running 4D1-3.3.2. The problem is well known since it is
>listed inr the 4D1-3.3.2 Release and Installation Notes Manual. I
>tried to add the following lines in the /etc/rpc file on my Sun NIS master:
>
>sgi_toolkitbus	391001
>sgi_fam         391002
>
>From the "ypcat rpc | egrep 'sgi_fam|sgi_toolkit', I can see that both
>entries are there but I still get the following error messages when I
>try to fire up the Workspace and the System Manager:
>
>Can't connect with file access monitor
>
>What am I doing wrong?

On the iris, use the ypcat or ypmatch commands to verify that these
entries really are being supplied.  Also, use ypwhich to verify who
your server is.  All these commands have man pages describing how to
use them.

In article <1991Apr11> jesse@camelot.sgi.com (Jesse Rendleman) writes:
>In article <91Apr11112549> phaneuf@ireq.hydro.qc.ca (Daniel Phaneuf) writes:
>>
>>I am having some problems with the Workspace and the System Manager on
>>our 4D/310 running 4D1-3.3.2. The problem is well known since it is
>>listed inr the 4D1-3.3.2 Release and Installation Notes Manual. I
>>tried to add the following lines in the /etc/rpc file on my Sun NIS master:
>>
>>sgi_toolkitbus	391001
>>sgi_fam         391002
>>
>>From the "ypcat rpc | egrep 'sgi_fam|sgi_toolkit', I can see that both
>>entries are there but I still get the following error messages when I
>>try to fire up the Workspace and the System Manager:
>>
>>Can't connect with file access monitor
>>
>>What am I doing wrong?
>
>On the iris, use the ypcat or ypmatch commands to verify that these
>entries really are being supplied.  Also, use ypwhich to verify who
>your server is.  All these commands have man pages describing how to
>use them.

On re-reading this, I realize I didn't emphasize my point that the
ypcat test should be run from the *iris*, as you didn't say that's
what you tried in the original post.

Also, you may need to stop and restart the inet daemon.  Or the
inetd man page describes a signal you can send it to get it to
restart, but I don't remember off the top-o-me-head.

good luck,