[comp.sys.sgi] Transfer files between PC and IRIS?

naiming@eng.umd.edu (Naiming Shen) (04/06/91)

I am ordering a cable(null modem) to link my PC and IRIS. Can someone
tell me which communication software on IRIS is best to use to trasfer
files between those two machines. I have PCPlus on PC.

  Naiming Shen
  naiming@bagend.eng.umd.edu

rxcob@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au (Owen Baker) (04/06/91)

naiming@eng.umd.edu (Naiming Shen) writes:

>I am ordering a cable(null modem) to link my PC and IRIS. Can someone
>tell me which communication software on IRIS is best to use to trasfer
>files between those two machines. I have PCPlus on PC.

Why not spend a little extra and get an ethernet card for the PC. There are
plenty of public domain PC ethernet drivers around with telnet and FTP
support which is much faster then an RS232 connection. Im assuming here that
your Iris has an ethernet port. 8 bit ethernet cards for PC's can purchased in
Australia for $200-$300 and probably less OS.

Owen Baker
odb@bodoni.csu.rmit.oz.au
RMIT, Melbourne, Vic. Australia.
Telephone (61) (3) 660-2038

portuesi@tweezers.esd.sgi.com (Michael Portuesi) (04/08/91)

In article <1991Apr5.222307.5567@eng.umd.edu>, Naiming Shen writes:
> I am ordering a cable(null modem) to link my PC and IRIS. Can someone
> tell me which communication software on IRIS is best to use to trasfer
> files between those two machines. I have PCPlus on PC.

I own a Toshiba laptop to use for light-duty computing tasks when
I'm away from my 4D/20.  I find the most trouble-free file transfer
solution is Kermit for MS-DOS communicating with the Kermit
program we supply in 4Dgifts.  Kermit for MS-DOS provides a very
capable terminal emulator as well as file transfer.  It isn't as fast
as Zmodem or other protocols, but at 9600 baud I find that I can
transfer most things quickly enough.  I just start up Kermit and
let the download proceed while I am doing my other tasks.  Kermit
is very reliable, and best of all it's free.

The latest version of Kermit for MS-DOS is 3.10.  It can be found
via anonymous FTP from:

	wsmr-simtel20.army.mil 	as the files:
	PD1:<MSDOS.KERMIT>msker310.zip
	PD1:<MSDOS.KERMIT>msr310.pch
	PD1:<MSDOS.KERMIT>mskr-em2.zip

These same files may be found on wuarchive.wustl.edu in the
directory /mirrors/msdos/kermit.

m.
__
\/  Michael Portuesi   Silicon Graphics, Inc.   portuesi@sgi.com

"Republicans understand the importance of bondage between a
 mother and child." -- Vice President Dan Quayle

silvert@cs.dal.ca (Bill Silvert) (04/09/91)

In article <1991Apr8.163047.9040@odin.corp.sgi.com> portuesi@tweezers.esd.sgi.com (Michael Portuesi) writes:

>I own a Toshiba laptop to use for light-duty computing tasks when
>I'm away from my 4D/20.  I find the most trouble-free file transfer
>solution is Kermit for MS-DOS communicating with the Kermit
>program we supply in 4Dgifts.  Kermit for MS-DOS provides a very
>capable terminal emulator as well as file transfer.  It isn't as fast
>as Zmodem or other protocols, but at 9600 baud I find that I can
>transfer most things quickly enough.  I just start up Kermit and
>let the download proceed while I am doing my other tasks.  Kermit
>is very reliable, and best of all it's free.

I've used kermit as well and it works fine, but I've also installed
programs for x/y/zmodem on my 4D/25 and they all work fine.  And they
are all free as well!  As for speed, the files transfer perfectly well
over a dialup line at 2400 baud, where speed really does count.

--
William Silvert, Habitat Ecology Division, Bedford Inst. of Oceanography
P. O. Box 1006, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CANADA B2Y 4A2.  Tel. (902)426-1577

In article <1991Apr5.232621.86@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au> rxcob@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au (Owen Baker) writes:

>Why not spend a little extra and get an ethernet card for the PC. There are
>plenty of public domain PC ethernet drivers around with telnet and FTP
>support which is much faster then an RS232 connection. Im assuming here that
>your Iris has an ethernet port. 8 bit ethernet cards for PC's can purchased in
>Australia for $200-$300 and probably less OS.

Is this as simple as it sounds?  I have a PI 4D/25 with an ethernet port
and a WD card for my 386 and absolutely no knowledge about ethernet.  I've
been informed that the PI connector is thick wire and the BNC T-connector
on the WD card is thin wire, so that I need an expensive interface box as
well as the cables.  Is this correct?  I would dearly love to connect
the two machines, but funds are limited.
--
William Silvert, Habitat Ecology Division, Bedford Inst. of Oceanography
P. O. Box 1006, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CANADA B2Y 4A2.  Tel. (902)426-1577
UUCP=..!{uunet|watmath}!dalcs!biomel!bill
BITNET=bill%biomel%dalcs@dalac	InterNet=bill%biomel@cs.dal.ca

naiming@eng.umd.edu (Naiming Shen) (04/09/91)

Can we configure the IRIS serial port to run over 9600 baud, say
19200?

  Naiming Shen
  naiming@bagend.eng.umd.edu

bet@george.mc.duke.edu (Bennett Todd -- gaj) (04/10/91)

In article <1991Apr9.124403.2358@cs.dal.ca> bill%biome@cs.dal.ca writes:
>In article <1991Apr5.232621.86@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au> rxcob@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au (Owen Baker) writes:
>>
>>Why not spend a little extra and get an ethernet card for the PC. [...]
>
>Is this as simple as it sounds?  I have a PI 4D/25 with an ethernet port
>and a WD card for my 386 and absolutely no knowledge about ethernet.  I've
>been informed that the PI connector is thick wire and the BNC T-connector
>on the WD card is thin wire, so that I need an expensive interface box as
>well as the cables. [...]

The PI only has the Ethernet Transceiver Drop cable connector (DB-15 with
slide lock). It needs to be plugged in to a transceiver. You can buy a
skinny-ether transceiver for pretty cheap; I imagine $150-$200 would be a
reasonable guess. If you don't want to pay someone a bunch for a transceiver
drop cable then get a foot or so of 15-wire ribbon cable, plus two ribbon
cable DB-15 connectors (one male and one female), and mash them on. Buy a 50
ohm coax with BNC connectors to go between the PI and the PC, and a couple of
terminators (or a couple of spare BNC connectors with a couple of 50 ohm
resistors, and solder up your own terminators). Add one BNC tee, and you are
in business. Plug the transceiver drop cable (or the ribbon cable) into the
PI. Plug the skinny-ether transceiver into the other end of the drop or
ribbon cable. Plug a terminator onto one end of the transceiver, and the 50
ohm coax on the other. Plug the tee into the other end of the 50 ohm coax,
and tack the terminator onto the end. Plug the side drop off the tee into
your PC.

We use 15-lead ribbon cable w/ press-on DB-15 connectors for transceiver
drops wherever we don't need a long length. You lose the slide lock, but the
ribbon cable is so much lighter and more limber that the simple friction fit
holds it on securely.

-Bennett
bet@orion.mc.duke.edu

tima@agora.rain.com (Tim Anderson) (04/11/91)

In article <1991Apr9.124403.2358@cs.dal.ca> bill%biome@cs.dal.ca writes:
>In article <1991Apr5.232621.86@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au> rxcob@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au (Owen Baker) writes:
>>
>>Why not spend a little extra and get an ethernet card for the PC....
>
>Is this as simple as it sounds?...

In a way it is... Let me tell ya' about what I did...

First you have to get one DROP cable, or the multi-pin jobber that connects
to the ETHERNET port on your SGI. Then you need an ETHERNET TRANSCEIVER to
turn that multi-pin line into a real thin ethernet. Then you need a THIN
ETHERNET cable and TWO THIN ETHERNET TERMINATORS. These are little plugs
that go onto the ends of the cable to keep the signal from bouncing off
the end of the line.

Hook the multi-pin jobber up to the ETHERNET port (not GENLOCK ;-) ) on your
SGI, hook the TRANSCEIVER up to the multi-pin jobber, connect a terminator
on one end of the 'T' connector and the cable to the other end. Hook the
cable up to the Ethernet board on your PC with the appropriate terminator
on the other end. Now you have the computers physically connected and you
have to get them mentally connected...

On the SGI, if you are running 3.3.1 or later (earlier versions had a bug...)
go into that WIMP interface system manager thingy and tell it to turn on
networking. You also have to invent a 'node name' and 'address' for your
local SGI box, and your trusty PC. I called my SGI 'joseph' and my DELL PC
'donald'. I also gave them network node numbers 3.0.0.1 and 3.0.0.2. Re-boot
your SGI. If you have version < 3.3.1 read the 'networking with TCP/IP' or
some such documentation. You have to add some names to a file, and change a
coupla numbers around in another file to get it to work. When your SGI comes
up it will have your new node name stuck on the lower left hand of the screen.

On the PC, you need to get NCSA TELNET and an ethernet card that NCSA TELNET
can understand. I had a 16bit western digital, but there weren't any drivers
for it! I had to trade down to an 8bit. Oh well. There is also a program
that was based on the same code, called KA9Q that uses these 'packet' drivers.
Apparently radio amateurs run these TCP/IP networks over the airwaves...
Anyway, install the 'appropriate' ethernet card and make sure it doesn't
collide with your mouse, com ports, etc, etc (don't ya just love PC's?).
Install NCSA TELNET (or KA9Q or whatever...) and give your PC the same address
that you gave your PC when you told the SGI what it was. ie joseph is address
3.0.0.1 so donald is address 3.0.0.2, I have to tell the PC that it is
3.0.0.2. I also have to tell the pc that joseph exists, and his address is
3.0.0.1.

Theoretically, all you have to do is type in the appropriate command on the
PC and you get logged into the SGI. I type in 'telnet joseph' and it
automagically logs me into the SGI. If I want to log onto my PC from the
SGI I have to run telnet on the PC, then log onto it from the SGI. It gets
kinda confusing when you transfer files cuz you are really logged onto the
other computer so you have to 'get' files backwards. Anyway, you'll get used
to it... The only problem I haven't fixed is I keep getting this 'vt102 not
found' error when I log into the SGI. Apparently I have to set up some kind
of remote login thingamajig that I have figured out yet. OH YA I ALMOST
FORGOT! You can only transfer files to/from accounts that have PASSWORDS!
This is probably not a problem for most people, but I have a whopping one user
on my 4D/20 so I never bothered to put a password in... Have fun!

tima@agora.rain.com

uh311ae@sunmanager.lrz-muenchen.de (Henrik Klagges) (04/11/91)

For easy and quick filetransfer (quick == 19.2kBaud), make the kermit in
4Dgifts and run it via a serial line (/dev/ttyd1,2,3,...) to a PC-kermit.
Cheers ! RIck@vee.lrz-muenchen.de

lara@sgi.com (Lara J Allen) (04/12/91)

i tried to reply to the original poster, but my mail bounced.

anyway, yes, IMNSHO, ethernet connections are great for pc <-> iris
  because even 10M is faster than 9600bps over a serial line

two companies are:

FTP Software (617-246-0900)

or even better:
The Wollongong Group.

wollongong sales            800/872-8649 (outside CA)
                            415/962-7100 (ask for sales, inside CA)

standard disclaimers apply
lara

--
       		  ,--------------------------------.      ^/\    //\\
        /\_/\    /          Lara J Allen            \     oo \   U //

tom@bears.ucsb.edu (Tom Weinstein) (04/16/91)

In article <1991Apr9.165254.12896@eng.umd.edu>, naiming@eng.umd.edu (Naiming Shen) writes:

> Can we configure the IRIS serial port to run over 9600 baud, say
> 19200?

Yes.  You have to use the ttyf* devices instead of ttyd*.  These devices
need hardware flow control and have a maximum speed of 19200 bps.  Make
sure to disable the corresponding ttyd* device.

--
He is Bob...eager for fun.         | Tom Weinstein  tom@bears.ucsb.edu
He wears a smile... Everybody run! |                tweinst@polyslo.calpoly.edu

silvert@cs.dal.ca (Bill Silvert) (04/16/91)

line, I have a related problem.  I have a T-bar switch connected to
ttyd1 which lets me connect either to a PC or to another, much older
Unix system.  Both connections run at 9600 baud, and I have uugetty
running on the port.

When I switch to the PC I can log in without problem.  But when I switch
back, uucp cannot use the line until I look in as root and either change
the ownership of /dev/ttyd1 back to uucp or chmod o+r /dev/ttyd1 so that
uucp can read it.  Does anyone have an easier way to do this?
--
William Silvert, Habitat Ecology Division, Bedford Inst. of Oceanography
P. O. Box 1006, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CANADA B2Y 4A2.  Tel. (902)426-1577
UUCP=..!{uunet|watmath}!dalcs!biome!silvert
BITNET=silvert%biome%dalcs@dalac	InterNet=silvert%biome@cs.dal.ca