[comp.sys.sgi] Personal Iris 1 Meg Simms

bt@sleaze.meteor.wisc.edu (Bill Taylor) (04/16/91)

I decided not to pay SGI's price for PC 1 meg simms. However the system
has been slightly less than rock stable since. A crash every two days
sometimes while idle.

I put in Panasonic MN41C1000ASJ-08 which are supposed to be 80 ns.
It has toshiba 1 Meg simms in it. Anyone want to share constaints
in what can be installed?

Thanks

rainer@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Rainer Malzbender) (04/17/91)

In article <1991Apr16.143152.13058@meteor.wisc.edu> bt@sleaze.meteor.wisc.edu (Bill Taylor) writes:
>I put in Panasonic MN41C1000ASJ-08 which are supposed to be 80 ns.
>It has toshiba 1 Meg simms in it. Anyone want to share constaints
>in what can be installed?

This may not be reliable since we are in the process of chasing down an
intermittent memory error as well, but we have three kinds of SIMMs in
our 4D25TG's (former SGI demo machines):

	Fujitsu MB85235-10
	Toyocom TH3C10009-T10
	Mitsubishi MM1M09A0J-10

I'm suspecting a motherboard problem, since the SIMMs seem to check out.
It looks like putting *any* memory above 8 megs causes diagnostics to
fail (with a wonderfully descriptive message like "error in Electronics
Module :-).

--

"Cost of hotel room for sex therapy" - not deductible according to the IRS.

Rainer Malzbender

rnelson@luke.eecs.wsu.edu (Roger Nelson - Grad Student) (04/18/91)

In article <1991Apr17.163254.18574@colorado.edu> rainer@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Rainer Malzbender) writes:
>In article <1991Apr16.143152.13058@meteor.wisc.edu> bt@sleaze.meteor.wisc.edu (Bill Taylor) writes:
>>I put in Panasonic MN41C1000ASJ-08 which are supposed to be 80 ns.
>>It has toshiba 1 Meg simms in it. Anyone want to share constaints
>>in what can be installed?
>
>This may not be reliable since we are in the process of chasing down an
>intermittent memory error as well, but we have three kinds of SIMMs in
>our 4D25TG's (former SGI demo machines):
>
>	Fujitsu MB85235-10
>	Toyocom TH3C10009-T10
>	Mitsubishi MM1M09A0J-10
>
>I'm suspecting a motherboard problem, since the SIMMs seem to check out.
>It looks like putting *any* memory above 8 megs causes diagnostics to
>fail (with a wonderfully descriptive message like "error in Electronics
>Module :-).

We had similar problems when we added memory to our machines.
The faster chips must be placed in the front.
Once we did this, the machines work just fine.

earl@BRL.MIL (Earl Weaver, VLD/ASB) (04/18/91)

I added 8 MB of 80-ns (1-MB SIMMS) memory to two of our 4D20s (in the rear
sockets) and we haven't had any problems.  I can't remember what chips they
were, but I could check if anybody really needs to know.  (I "borrowed"
the memory from some Sun spares kits we had;  we had a job that needed
more memory and didn't have time to go through the usual procurement channels...)

But what I'd like to do is replace all the 1-MB SIMMS with 4-MB SIMMS.  I don't
remember seeing any postings that anyone has done this successfully.

Does anybody out there have 64 MB in their 4D20 machines?  Or has anybody, even
temporarily, experimented by installing 16 4-MB SIMMS to see if it would work?
If so, what were the chips?