[comp.sys.sgi] Screen width in characters in wsh

Dan Karron@UCBVAX.BERKELEY.EDU (04/17/91)

What is the stdandard practice to find out how many characters
wide is the wsh window from inside an application ? I want to avoid unneeded
line wraps if the user pulls open his window.

Cheers!

dan.
| karron@nyu.edu (e-mail alias )         Dan Karron, Research Associate      |
| Phone: 212 263 5210 Fax: 212 263 7190  New York University Medical Center  |
| 560 First Avenue                       Digital Pager <1> (212) 397 9330    |
| New York, New York 10016               <2> 10896   <3> <your-number-here>  |

vjs@rhyolite.wpd.sgi.com (Vernon Schryver) (04/17/91)

In article <9104162315.AA12854@karron.med.nyu.edu>, Dan Karron@UCBVAX.BERKELEY.EDU writes:
> What is the stdandard practice to find out how many characters
> wide is the wsh window from inside an application ?

Many standard programs use the BSD style termio(7) ioctl(TIOCGWINSZ).
See also /usr/include/sys/termio.h

Vernon Schryver,   vjs@sgi.com

msc@ramoth.esd.sgi.com (Mark Callow) (04/19/91)

In article <9104162315.AA12854@karron.med.nyu.edu>, Dan Karron@UCBVAX.BERKELEY.EDU writes:

|> What is the stdandard practice to find out how many characters
|> wide is the wsh window from inside an application ? I want to avoid unneeded
|> line wraps if the user pulls open his window.

Use curses (libcurses.a that is) or the BSD style ioctl TIOCGWINSZ.
--
From the TARDIS of Mark Callow
msc@ramoth.sgi.com, ...{ames,decwrl}!sgi!msc