[comp.sys.sgi] Upgrading 25G to 35G

chlebana@physics.utoronto.ca (Frank Chlebana) (04/16/91)

Is it possible to upgrade JUST the processor board on a 4D25G. Or does one have
to upgrade BOTH the processor board and the graphics board??

Frank Chlebana
chlebana@oldkat.physics.utoronto.ca

olson@anchor.esd.sgi.com (Dave Olson) (04/17/91)

In <1991Apr16.142508.9934@helios.physics.utoronto.ca> chlebana@physics.utoronto.ca (Frank Chlebana) writes:

| Is it possible to upgrade JUST the processor board on a 4D25G. Or does one have
| to upgrade BOTH the processor board and the graphics board??

Yes, in fact, the 4D35 promo was a program where if you bought a 4D25 TG,
you got the right to upgrade to the 4D35 for some number of dollars.  This
was just a CPU board upgrade.

In actual fact, it is somewhat more than the CPU board, as I/O
connector differences, EMI and cooling considerations dictated some
sheetmetal changes, which meant a new electronics module chassis.  The
old graphics board is still used, it just means more work, because all
boards have to be removed to put them in the new sheetmetal.

Finally it turns out that for some systems, minor rework on the
graphics board (a different value resistor pack) was required, if my
memory serves me correctly.  Contact your sales person for more info.
--

	Dave Olson

sgf@cfm.brown.edu (Sam Fulcomer) (04/17/91)

In article <1991Apr16.235626.11319@odin.corp.sgi.com> olson@anchor.esd.sgi.com (Dave Olson) writes:

>connector differences, EMI and cooling considerations dictated some
					^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

...maybe "reconsiderations"? I'll bet that funky fan over the DSP
wasn't in the prototype. I do like it as a solution, though. The
DSP alone must draw somewhere around 150 ma.

olson@anchor.esd.sgi.com (Dave Olson) (04/18/91)

In <72413@brunix.UUCP> sgf@cfm.brown.edu (Sam Fulcomer) writes:

| In article <1991Apr16.235626.11319@odin.corp.sgi.com> olson@anchor.esd.sgi.com (Dave Olson) writes:
| >
| >connector differences, EMI and cooling considerations dictated some
| 					^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
|
| ...maybe "reconsiderations"? I'll bet that funky fan over the DSP
| wasn't in the prototype. I do like it as a solution, though. The
| DSP alone must draw somewhere around 150 ma.

The fan on the emod side panel doesn't do any cooling itself.  What it
DOES do is cause turbulence, which moves the cooling air to the places
that it really needs to be.  Otherwise we would have just used a higher
capacity main fan.  And yes, it IS funky.  It will almost certainly
go away in a future ECO, as parts with higher margins become available,
etc.
--

	Dave Olson

msc@ramoth.esd.sgi.com (Mark Callow) (04/19/91)

In article <1991Apr16.142508.9934@helios.physics.utoronto.ca>, chlebana@physics.utoronto.ca (Frank Chlebana) writes:
|> Is it possible to upgrade JUST the processor board on a 4D25G. Or does one have
|> to upgrade BOTH the processor board and the graphics board??

The upgrade kit does not include a new graphics board.  You use your
existing graphics board (which does require a couple of small mods).
The upgrade must be carried out by a Silicon Graphics PSE.

Or so I've been told. I'm waiting for an upgrade too. Paying customers come
first.
--
From the TARDIS of Mark Callow
msc@ramoth.sgi.com, ...{ames,decwrl}!sgi!msc

In article <72413@brunix.UUCP>, sgf@cfm.brown.edu (Sam Fulcomer) writes:
|> ...maybe "reconsiderations"? I'll bet that funky fan over the DSP
|> wasn't in the prototype. I do like it as a solution, though. The
|> DSP alone must draw somewhere around 150 ma.

Excuse me!  The "funky fan" is over the MIPS R3000 cpu chip.  The DSP is
some considerable distance away on the other end of the circuit board.
I would be very surprised if the DSP draws anywhere close to 150 mA.
--
From the TARDIS of Mark Callow

karsh@trifolium.esd.sgi.com (Bruce Karsh) (04/19/91)

In article <1991Apr18.184549.21356@odin.corp.sgi.com> msc@sgi.com writes:

>Excuse me!  The "funky fan" is over the MIPS R3000 cpu chip.  The DSP is
>some considerable distance away on the other end of the circuit board.
>I would be very surprised if the DSP draws anywhere close to 150 mA.

The dsp chip draws about 75ma.  The "funky fan", also called the scatter
fan, is not intended to cool the DSP since the DSP runs pretty cool without
it.

			Bruce Karsh
			karsh@sgi.com

sgf@cfm.brown.edu (Sam Fulcomer) (04/19/91)

In article <1991Apr18.184549.21356@odin.corp.sgi.com> msc@sgi.com writes:
>In article <72413@brunix.UUCP>, sgf@cfm.brown.edu (Sam Fulcomer) writes:
>|> ...maybe "reconsiderations"? I'll bet that funky fan over the DSP
>
>Excuse me!  The "funky fan" is over the MIPS R3000 cpu chip.  The DSP is

Oops, certainly is. (It's also over the 3010, since they both have pasties.)
Brain-dead of me to think it was the DSP...

>I would be very surprised if the DSP draws anywhere close to 150 mA.

Perhaps someone could tell me what the nominal and maximum input
current ratings are for a 37MHz part in run-state. I assume that the
DSP is clocked at the system rate. (it is a 56001, isn't it?).

--
Sam Fulcomer	sgf@cfm.brown.edu		What, me panic: uba crazy

Associate Director for Computing Facilities and Scientific Visualization
Brown University Center for Fluid Mechanics, Turbulence and Computation

karsh@trifolium.esd.sgi.com (Bruce Karsh) (04/20/91)

>Perhaps someone could tell me what the nominal and maximum input
>current ratings are for a 37MHz part in run-state. I assume that the
>DSP is clocked at the system rate. (it is a 56001, isn't it?).

The DSP chip is a 56001 and it's clocked at 20Mhz.

			Bruce Karsh
			karsh@sgi.com