[comp.sys.sgi] Photographing the screen

arritt@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (10/24/90)

We need to make some color slides of graphics produced on a 4D/25G.
At present our only facility for doing this is to take a photograph of
the screen, using a 35mm camera.  If anyone else has done this, I would
appreciate your advice with regard to type of lens (we have both the
"normal" 50mm lens and a macro lens), type of film, exposure settings,
proper brightness settings on the tube, and so forth.

In case it matters, these are color plots produced using NCAR Graphics
version 3.0.  The plots are generally similar to Example 7 of CONPACK.

Thanks for whatever help you can provide.
Raymond W. Arritt                     |
Assistant Professor                   |
Dept. of Physics and Astronomy        |  "everyone knew that as time went
Univ. of Kansas                       |   by they'd get a little bit older
Lawrence, KS  66045                   |   and a little bit slower..."
arritt@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu             |
arritt@ukanvax.bitnet                 |

slehar@thalamus.bu.edu (Steve Lehar) (10/25/90)

Photographing the IRIS screen and making  slides is the most effective
way of presenting your results  at  conferences and  meetings, etc.  I
have done this several times, and the resolution of the slide captures
everything on the screen with  good fidelity,  especially if you  zoom
your imagex up 2x.

I  usually use a regular  35mm camera on a tripod  in a darkened room.
Be very careful about reflections on the screen- it is amazing how you
can look at the  screen and see  no reflections, but when you  look at
the pictures you see a prominent reflection  from a power or "on-line"
light  of a  printer or computer,  or from a  tiny crack in the window
shade.   Your brain filters these  things  out  because they  are at a
different focus- until captured on the photograph.

Be very careful  to level the camera- in  the  viewfinder measure  the
angle between  the  bottom of  the  screen and   the   bottom of   the
viewfinder- get them exactly parallel.  This is another thing that you
might  not notice otherwise, but looks  very odd when you project your
slides to  the audience with a 2  degree list to starboard.  Likewise,
center the screen exactly in the frame.

Move the pointer to the bottom-right of the screen where it disappears
except for one last pixel.  Again, if you  are not thinking,  you will
not notice the pointer because you are so used to seeing it.  When you
see the photographs however it will appear prominantly distracting.

Another thing   that strikes  you  when   you see  the slides  is  the
curvature of the lines due to the curved screen.   You normally pay no
attention to this because your eye compensates for it- like looking at
a line of lattitude on a  globe (looks straight)  compared to seeing a
projection  of that globe  onto a flat  map  (looks curved). Make sure
that you are looking straight-on at  the screen,  so that the curve-up
at the  top of  the screen is  symmetrical with  the curve-down at the
bottom.  This is done by aligning the camera exactly  on the normal to
the center  of the screen. The  curvature can be  minimized by setting
the camera far from the screen and using a zoom lens.

Use a film speed that will  "average over" many screen refresh cycles.
If you set your  exposure  to  1/30 of a  second for instance, you are
unlikely to catch exactly one screen  refresh,  probably 0.9 or 1.2 or
something,  which will create funny  looking results where  there is a
gap or  an overlapping region.   If you set  for  1  second, then some
parts of the screen will have been refreshed 30  times, and some parts
29, or 31 times.  This ratio is sufficient to make  the difference not
noticable.  I.e. use a long  exposure time- this means  of course that
you must either use a remote cable  trigger, or  a delayed trigger, to
avoid shaking the camera with your finger.

When using a built-in light  meter,  zoom the lens  to remove all  the
background blackness, set the lens till the  light meter is satisfied,
then un-zoom again for taking the pictures.  In other words, don't let
the border blackness (off  the screen) influence  the  reading  of the
light meter.  Straddle the  settings that the  light meter recommends-
i.e. take three exposures for each frame, at three  adjacent settings,
to make  sure that one  of  them is ok.   The perfect setting may well
depend on the type of image you have- are you interested in the detail
in those dark corners, or do you want to examine the brighter regions.
--
(O)((O))(((O)))((((O))))(((((O)))))(((((O)))))((((O))))(((O)))((O))(O)
(O)((O))(((               slehar@park.bu.edu               )))((O))(O)

todd@mljsg.pharm.Virginia.EDU (Todd Tenenholz) (10/26/90)

Here at the Molecular Graphics Facility, we use the following:

Cannon EOS model 650 camera, with 50mm lens and the Cannon compact-macro
lens attachment.

For Prints_________________________________________________________________
Kodak Ektar 25 film
Vector drawings:  f2.5  exposure 1.5 - 2 sec
Raster drawings:  f2.5  exposure 0.7 - 1 sec

For Slides_______________________________________________________________
Kodak Extachrome 200
All Drawings:     f2.5, 3.5, or 5.6   exposure 2"

These pictures are genterated with the QUANTA molecular modeling package.

Good luck!

--
Todd Tenenholz, Molecular Graphics Facility, U. Md. at Batimore.
Internet: todd@sg.ab.umd.edu

wade@fnord.asd.sgi.com (Wade Olsen) (10/26/90)

In <26308.27257d14@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> arritt@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:

>We need to make some color slides of graphics produced on a 4D/25G.
>At present our only facility for doing this is to take a photograph of
>the screen, using a 35mm camera.  If anyone else has done this, I would
>appreciate your advice with regard to type of lens (we have both the
>"normal" 50mm lens and a macro lens), type of film, exposure settings,
>proper brightness settings on the tube, and so forth.

I've had very good results with the following:

	Put the camera about 10 feet away from the monitor.
	Use and appropriate zoom lens.

	Use Ektochrome (spelling?) 100 film.

	Use 1 second exposure.

	Use 5.6 F-stop.

	Darken the room to avoid reflections off of the monitor.

	Use "normal" brightness settings.

	Use a delay timer.

--

++
Wade Olsen, wade@sgi.com, X1023

shenkin@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Peter S. Shenkin) (10/26/90)

In article <SLEHAR.90Oct25091039@thalamus.bu.edu> slehar@thalamus.bu.edu (Steve Lehar) writes:

>I  usually use a regular  35mm camera on a tripod  in a darkened room....
> [[ followed by lots of good advice ]]

Now, have you (or has anyone else out there) tried Polaroid color 35 mm film --
the stuff you develop in the funny little tank you buy from them, by inserting
the film and the developer pack that comes with it?

	-P.
************************f*u*cn*rd*ths*u*cn*gt*a*gd*jb**************************
Peter S. Shenkin, Department of Chemistry, Barnard College, New York, NY  10027
(212)854-1418  shenkin@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu(Internet)  shenkin@cunixc(Bitnet)
***"In scenic New York... where the third world is only a subway ride away."***

rainer@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Rainer Malzbender) (10/27/90)

I just wanted to mention that there are people around who can take an
Iris image file and convert it to a beautiful, saturated 4x5 negative
using a good film recorder. Quality is obviously much better than a
screen snapshot or color postscript printer. I think the cost is around
$100 per shot.

To avoid commercial messages on the net I will refrain from giving details.
Email me if you're interested. (I have nothing to do with this other than
knowing of such an outfit here in town).
--
Rainer Malzbender                  "Ben, where are the hickory sticks?"
Dept. of Physics                                       -T.P.

dave@imax.com (Dave Martindale) (10/31/90)

Some additional tips on exposure:

1. If you have a spotmeter available, this is the most accurate way I know
   to set exposure:  Plot a square of full-intensity white on the screen,
   and read it with the spotmeter.  Then give the film 2.5 stops more exposure
   than the spotmeter reads.

2. If you don't have a spotmeter, but do have a through-the-lens meter on
   your camera, fill the screen with white and take a reading, then give
   2.5 stops more exposure.

3. Read the data sheet supplied with your film, and look for "reciprocity
   corrections".  The manufacturer will often recommend additional exposure
   when making longer exposures in the 1 second range.  However, shooting
   a screen does not really give 1 second of relatively dim light - it
   is 60 successive exposures of somewhat brighter light - so you may need
   less correction than the data sheet says.

I suggest using full-intensity white instead of mid-grey, since few people
will actually know how to display a true mid-grey on their CRT.

Where does the magic "2.5 stops" come from?  There are two ways of thinking
of this:

 - the light meter reads the white area as if it were mid-grey (about 18%
   reflectance).  The difference between 18% and 100% is about 2.5 stops,
   so opening the iris by 2.5 stops gives the correct exposure.

 - taking an exposure meter reading of a particular tone in an image,
   and then giving 2.5 stops more than the meter indicates, will place
   that tone up near the "shoulder" of the characteristic curve of
   a slide film - thus causing it to reproduce as fairly bright white,
   while still retaining detail in the whites.

donl@glass.esd.sgi.com (donl mathis) (11/03/90)

In article <1990Oct30.173541.14407@imax.com>, dave@imax.com (Dave Martindale) writes:
> Some additional tips on exposure:
>
> 1. If you have a spotmeter available, this is the most accurate way I know
>    to set exposure:  Plot a square of full-intensity white on the screen,
>    and read it with the spotmeter.  Then give the film 2.5 stops more exposure
>    than the spotmeter reads.
>
> 2. If you don't have a spotmeter, but do have a through-the-lens meter on
>    your camera, fill the screen with white and take a reading, then give
>    2.5 stops more exposure.
>
> [... other good advice ...]

Also, if you are using a digital meter, you may discover chaos in the
readings due to interaction between the sampling rate of the meter and
the screen frame rate.  I haven't measured our monitors, but i've
measured normal TV displays, and both of my digital meters have trouble
with them.  You might have better luck leaning toward an analog meter.

As to measuring white and opening up 2.5 stops, an alternative might be
to measure what you consider to be "middle gray", and just use the
reading directly.  In fact, if you want to get picky about it, you're
*really* looking for a black black and a white white, so you might want
to create a gray scale on the screen, covering the whole range, and do
some test shots of that to see how they reproduce.  If you find you
need to push the whites up a little higher, or the blacks down a little
deeper, consider having your E6 film push processed.  Conversely, but
much less likely in my estimation, if you lose some of the lighter
grays to white, or darker grays to black, consider asking for pull
processing to reduce the contrast of the film a bit.

On your test roll, bracket the exposures widely enough that you can get
all the exposure information you need on one roll.  Make your best
guess and cover it by, say, plus or minus four or five stops.  A roll
full of gray scale exposures should tell you almost everything you need
to know.
--

- donl mathis at Silicon Graphics Computer Systems, Mountain View, CA

donl@sgi.com

I want my Ektar sheets!

brent@greylady.uoregon.edu (Brent Baker) (04/22/91)

     I posting this for a friend, so please don't respond to this account.
     Respond to: howie@jas1.uoregon.edu

Every now and then I've seen postings about how to take photographs of images
on the console; however, I never had any need to do such photography so I
never saved the postings.  Now I have a need.  We recently bought a molecular
modeling package and I would like to take publication-quality photographs of
the molecular models.  The images are generated by the MIDAS software and
displayed on a Personal IRIS 4D/25.  Can someone give me advice about the
best focal length lens, the type of film, exposure, etc.

Thanks
                                               Howie
                                               howie@jas1.uoregon.edu

3ksnn64@cidmac.ecn.purdue.edu (Joe Cychosz) (04/24/91)

Film:
   I use Kodak 100 print film for prints and Ektachrome 100 (Ektachrome
64 is no longer available) for slides.
I have not tried Ektar 125 yet.  This is probably the best print film
to use as it has an incrediable grain density and excellent color.  The
exposure settings will have to adjusted slightly.  The next roll I shoot
will be Ektar 125.

Setup:
   This is the longest and most crucial step.  It is important to get the
lens as perpendicular as possible to the screen.  Things to watch for are
monitors which tilt (like Suns or SGIs).  I also try to get the lens as
close as possible to the screen and still be able to focus. This helps
reduce the effects of the curvature of the screen.  For a 70-210mm Macro
Nikon this is about 2 ft at 70mm.  This contradicts what one might think
in that one would expect the flattest photo to appear by getting as far
away as possible and shooting with as long of a lens as possible.  The
problem is in the distoration in the lens system at 210mm.  Keep in mind
that a macro lens works on a series of approximations.  What results
is concave pillowing which is oppisite of the convex pillowing caused by
the curvature of the screen.  The optimal flat picture occurs when the
convexed pillowing of the screen is balanced with the concaved pillowing of
the distortion in the lens system.  Since I do not have a straight 200mm
lens, I have not been able to study and measure the distortion in the
macro.

   One final note: I tend to shoot images that are either 640x480 or 512x
512 off of the SGI.  I have shot full screen images, but the curvature of
the screen gets a bit difficult to control, especially with the 70-210
lens problems.

Exposure:
   I use a 1/2 second exposure at f8 with half a stop added in.  To bracket
the exposure I also shoot a f5.6 and a f11 exposure.  With 100 speed film
the exposure can be fairly forgiving.  That is to say, you'll get a
reasonable picture as long as the exposure and f-stop are within reason.
Never shoot faster than the refresh rate of the monitor, 1/60th.  A wide
black bar will appear on the screen.  This even goes for taking pictures
of monitors sitting in rooms.  If you do you will endup with black bars on
the screen.  For room shots I use 1/8 second or longer.

   I have shot 1 second exposures at f8 and have had similar results.
Again, 100 speed film is pretty forgiving.

   I have found the exposue metering systems in cameras to unreliable when
determining the exposue.  This is especially true when shooting vector
displays.  Also, you want to avoid full white areas such as menu areas
and the like.  Change them to a 70 - 80% grey.  The pictures will look
much nicer when printed.

Processing:
   For prints I usually tell the people that process my film that the
roll contains computer graphics.  Many film printers are computered
controlled and are setup for printing people, sky, grass, trees and other
things which you would find in normal photos.  These printers usually
lose it when the get a picture with lots of black and fully saturated
colors.  Vectors are the hardest to process.

   I use a Noritsu and a Fuji machine for my processing.  Usually
one or two units of density must be added (i.e., +1, +2) for computer
graphics shots.  The process you are going through is to balance the
quality of the color with the quality of black.  If you don't do this
you will end up with brown instead of black.  The Noritsu and Fuji will
will print on the back of the photo what settings were used.  So if you
do reprints bring the old photo in so the processor can see what settings
they used last time.  Examples follow below:

	Noritsu:
		896 45 N N N 6 2

		896   = Sequence number
		 45   = Film code (45 = Kodak 100)
		N N N = Yellow, Magenta, Cyan print levels.
			N = neutral, there will be numbers -1, +1, etc.
			for non-neutral settings.
		  6   = Density setting.
		  2   = Ignore.

	Fuji:
		79  010005 28 +01
		+0 -01+02 NN    -5  0

		79    = Sequence number.
		010005= Film/vendor/speed code (Kodak 100)
			010205 for Kodak 200 Gold
		28    = Daily density setting, results from calibration.
		+01   = Density setting.
		+0 -01+02 = Cyan, Magenta, Yellow print leves.
			+0 = neutral.
		NN    = Ignore.
		-5  0 = Ignore.

   One other problem the film processing machines have is alignment.
Lets say you are shooting pictures of some square 512x512 images.
The film processor will more than likely assume that the left edge
of the image is the left edge of the picture.  I will not center it for
you.  This will also happen with slides.  To solve this problem two
things can be done.  One: shoot a few fully exposed pictures at the
beginning of the roll so the machine can set where the left edge is
for the rest of the roll.  Or two: us an alignment background pattern
like I do.  This looks something like this:

                ----------------------------------
                !               !                !
                !               !                !
                !       -----------------        !
                !       !               !        !
                !       !               !        !
                !-------! Image         !        !

I am in the process of working on a calibration image which will help
the process people make there settings.  I am also working on reducing
the yellow edges which appear (especially at red and green boundries).
I don't expect to have any of this done sometime soon though.