[comp.sys.sgi] formatting man pages without DWB

TKIRKMAN%MOE@MSUS1.MSUS.EDU (Tom Kirkman) (04/24/91)

I'm afraid this is another FAQ from a not-too-competent unix person.

I am trying to get mathematica's man pages up on my 4D/25.
(Wolfram sends un-nroffed man pages even to personal iris users.)
Of course, I didn't buy DWB since my rep never told me it existed.

I have access to a sun where I tried
neqn file.1 | tbl | nroff | col | compress >file.Z
without success.

So, my question is, given access to Suns & DECstations it possible
to produce irix man pages w/o spending $300 on DWB?

Tom Kirkman                   DECnet:                           55860::TKIRKMAN
Dept. of Physics              HEP-> MNHEP::55860::        SPAN-> WAVES::55860::
St. John's University         INTERnet:           tkirkman%55860@vx.acs.umn.edu
Collegeville, MN 56321                            tkirkman%55860@msus1.msus.edu
(612) 363-3811                BITnet:                           tkirkman@csbsju
(612) 363-3151                                               FAX:(612) 363-2504

jim@baroque.Stanford.EDU (James Helman) (04/24/91)

     So, my question is, given access to Suns & DECstations it possible
     to produce irix man pages w/o spending $300 on DWB?

  Use:  nroff -man

  This is a cleaver option.  The option is -m with an argument 'an'.

At least as of 3.3.1, no DWB means no nroff.  So this won't get you
very far.  There is an awk-based formatter called AWF (A workable
formatter) written by Henry Spencer.  A version for IRIX including a
fake nroff/tbl/eqn script is available by anonymous ftp to
fresnel.stanford.edu.  Look for pub/4D/awf-sgi.tar.Z

-jim

Jim Helman
Department of Applied Physics			Durand 012
Stanford University				FAX: (415) 725-3377
(jim@KAOS.stanford.edu) 			Work: (415) 723-9127

merritt@iris613.gsfc.nasa.gov (John H Merritt) (04/24/91)

In article <2EB2E22A400004B0@MSUS1.MSUS.EDU> TKIRKMAN%MOE@MSUS1.MSUS.EDU (Tom Kirkman) writes:

>I have access to a sun where I tried
>neqn file.1 | tbl | nroff | col | compress >file.Z
>without success.
>
>So, my question is, given access to Suns & DECstations it possible
>to produce irix man pages w/o spending $300 on DWB?

Use:  nroff -man

This is a cleaver option.  The option is -m with an argument 'an'.

              John H. Merritt --> merritt@iris613.gsfc.nasa.gov
              Applied Research Corporation at NASA/GSFC
              "I am generally intolerant of ignorance,
               but I have made an exception in your case."

merritt@iris613.gsfc.nasa.gov (John H Merritt) (04/25/91)

In article <JIM.91Apr24114831@baroque.Stanford.EDU> you write:

>     So, my question is, given access to Suns & DECstations it possible
He was running the command 'nroff' on these machines which have DWB.
I was merely giving him the options to use and assumed that he
could put them into context.

>At least as of 3.3.1, no DWB means no nroff.  So this won't get you
>very far.

Don't flame me.  Just provide this information ...
>  There is an awk-based formatter called AWF (A workable
[bla...]

Flame me if the original poster was a 'she'  :-)