[comp.sys.sgi] Pandora and visual login icons

wes@uh.msc.umn.edu (Wes Barris) (04/17/91)

FACTOID 1:

The standard icons that pandora displays for each user may be replaced
with small images.  These images may be located in one of three places:
$HOME/.4sight/icons/login.icon, /usr/local/lib/faces/$USER, or
/usr/lib/faces/$USER.

FACTOID 2:

The file "/etc/passwd.sgi" contains a list of users.  If the username
is followed by a ":noshow", that user icon will not be shown.

QUESTION:

I do not want pandora to scan all $HOME/.4sight/... directories.  We
have over 100 users whose home directories are on various machines.
This takes tooooooo loooooong.  Instead, I would like to do one of the
following:

1: Remove $HOME/.4sight/icons/login.icon from the search path.

   or

2: Put something like "user:show" in the /etc/passwd file so that only
   these users are searched.

Is there is way to do this?

      o o o o o o o . . .   ________________________________ _____=======_T___
    o      _____           ||Wes Barris                    | | wes@msc.edu   |
  .][__n_n_|DD[  ====_____  |Minnesota Supercomputer Center| |(612) 626-8090 |
 >(________|__|_[_________]_|University of Minnesota_______|_|_FAX: 626-1596_|_
 _/oo OOOOO oo`  ooo   ooo  'o^o^o                    o^o^o` 'o^o         o^o`
-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
The life that is unexamined is not worth living.

gmt@cs.arizona.edu (Gregg Townsend) (04/17/91)

In article <3906@uc.msc.umn.edu> wes@msc.edu asks if there's a way,
for performance reasons, to make Pandora stop checking for icons in
every user's home directory.

We could definitely use this, too.  Most of our also have home directories
on other machines, and when Pandora goes looking for a home directory on a
machine that's down, it hangs (and nobody can log in) until the other
machine comes back up!

    Gregg Townsend / Computer Science Dept / Univ of Arizona / Tucson, AZ 85721
    +1 602 621 4325     gmt@cs.arizona.edu     110 57 16 W / 32 13 45 N / +758m

srp@babar.mmwb.ucsf.edu (Scott R. Presnell) (04/17/91)

gmt@cs.arizona.edu (Gregg Townsend) writes:

>In article <3906@uc.msc.umn.edu> wes@msc.edu asks if there's a way,
>for performance reasons, to make Pandora stop checking for icons in
>every user's home directory.

>We could definitely use this, too.  Most of our also have home directories
>on other machines, and when Pandora goes looking for a home directory on a
>machine that's down, it hangs (and nobody can log in) until the other
>machine comes back up!

I too asked this to be changed.  Last October I got a SCR # for it: 11020
(though my notebook is sorta fuzzy around that time).  So it should be on
their "do" list.

	- Scott
--
Scott Presnell				        +1 (415) 476-9890
Pharm. Chem., S-926				Internet: srp@cgl.ucsf.edu

andru@electron.lcs.mit.edu (Andrew Myers) (04/25/91)

In article <srp.671900102@babar.mmwb.ucsf.edu> srp@babar.mmwb.ucsf.edu (Scott R. Presnell) writes:
>gmt@cs.arizona.edu (Gregg Townsend) writes:
>
>>In article <3906@uc.msc.umn.edu> wes@msc.edu asks if there's a way,
>>for performance reasons, to make Pandora stop checking for icons in
>>every user's home directory.
>
>I too asked this to be changed.  Last October I got a SCR # for it: 11020
>(though my notebook is sorta fuzzy around that time).  So it should be on
>their "do" list.

If the icons are too slow, you can get rid of them by setting the
"noiconlogin" option with chkconfig. See the pandora and noiconlogin
man pages.

Andrew

wes@uh.msc.umn.edu (Wes Barris) (04/25/91)

In article <1991Apr24.182219.14666@mintaka.lcs.mit.edu>,
andru@electron.lcs.mit.edu (Andrew Myers) writes:

> If the icons are too slow, you can get rid of them by setting the
> "noiconlogin" option with chkconfig. See the pandora and noiconlogin
> man pages.
>
> Andrew

No No No No.  You missed the point.  I WANT the icons/images to appear.
I just don't want all 150 of them to appear -- junk those that I specify.
I need this to be done in such a way that all 150 home directories are
not searched by pandora.

      o o o o o o o . . .   ________________________________ _____=======_T___
    o      _____           ||Wes Barris                    | | wes@msc.edu   |
  .][__n_n_|DD[  ====_____  |Minnesota Supercomputer Center| |(612) 626-8090 |
 >(________|__|_[_________]_|University of Minnesota_______|_|_FAX: 626-1596_|_
 _/oo OOOOO oo`  ooo   ooo  'o^o^o                    o^o^o` 'o^o         o^o`
-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
Troglodytism does not necessarily imply a low cultural level.

dhinds@elaine18.Stanford.EDU (David Hinds) (04/25/91)

In article <3964@uc.msc.umn.edu> wes@msc.edu writes:
>In article <1991Apr24.182219.14666@mintaka.lcs.mit.edu>,
>andru@electron.lcs.mit.edu (Andrew Myers) writes:
>>
>> If the icons are too slow, you can get rid of them by setting the
>> "noiconlogin" option with chkconfig. See the pandora and noiconlogin
>> man pages.
>>
>> Andrew
>
>No No No No.  You missed the point.  I WANT the icons/images to appear.
>I just don't want all 150 of them to appear -- junk those that I specify.
>I need this to be done in such a way that all 150 home directories are
>not searched by pandora.

    Well, edit the /etc/passwd.sgi file.  If you want only some users
to show up in the pandora window, just add a line to this file saying
"someone:noshow".  If you want icons for everyone, but faces for only
some people, you could put "someone:machineicon" for the people who don't
have faces (faceless people?).  That isn't what the machine icon is
for, but I think this would work.  I guess it would be nice if there
was a "usericon" option here to force the default user icon.  Also, I
couldn't actually find the machine icon anywhere, so I think it may
be hard wired into pandora.  It would be nice if Pandora searched the
/usr/lib/faces directory before the home directories.

 -David Hinds
  dhinds@cb-iris.stanford.edu

rpaul@crow.UUCP (Rodian Paul) (04/26/91)

> No No No No.  You missed the point.  I WANT the icons/images to appear.
> I just don't want all 150 of them to appear -- junk those that I specify.
> I need this to be done in such a way that all 150 home directories are
> not searched by pandora.

Excerpt from %man pandora

     If no image exists for a user, a icon representing the user may be
     displayed. The file /etc/passwd.sgi contains a list of users who will be
     displayed with a special icon denoting a "built-in" user.
     This file consists of a series of lines, one for each user. Each line
     contains a list of colon-separated fields. The first field on each line
     is the name of the user. Additional fields may be provided. If the fields
     "noshow" or "noicon" are present, the icon will not be displayed on the
     login panel. The user will be required to type the full username in order
     to log in.

     Users whose home directory does not exist will not be displayed as icons.

rpaul%crow@ccut.cc.u-tokyo.ac.jp	phone: +81 (3) 5706-8357
ccut.cc.u-tokyo.ac.jp!crow!rpaul	  FAX: +81 (3) 5706-8437

wes@uh.msc.umn.edu (Wes Barris) (04/26/91)

In article <1991Apr25.162136.29450@leland.Stanford.EDU>,
dhinds@elaine18.Stanford.EDU (David Hinds) writes:

> >No No No No.  You missed the point.  I WANT the icons/images to appear.
> >I just don't want all 150 of them to appear -- junk those that I specify.
> >I need this to be done in such a way that all 150 home directories are
> >not searched by pandora.
> >
>     Well, edit the /etc/passwd.sgi file.  If you want only some users
> to show up in the pandora window, just add a line to this file saying
> "someone:noshow".  If you want icons for everyone, but faces for only

I understand the /etc/passwd.sgi file and the "noshow" thingy (look at
my original posting).  Even after putting the "noshows" in the passwd.sgi
file, an incredible amount of network traffic is generated by pandora
searching in everyones home directory on other machines.  What I want
is something like "show" where only those peoples directories are searched.
What I don't want is all the network traffic.

      o o o o o o o . . .   ________________________________ _____=======_T___
    o      _____           ||Wes Barris                    | | wes@msc.edu   |
  .][__n_n_|DD[  ====_____  |Minnesota Supercomputer Center| |(612) 626-8090 |
 >(________|__|_[_________]_|University of Minnesota_______|_|_FAX: 626-1596_|_
 _/oo OOOOO oo`  ooo   ooo  'o^o^o                    o^o^o` 'o^o         o^o`
-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
Last guys don't finish nice.

wes@uh.msc.umn.edu (Wes Barris) (04/26/91)

In article <9104251729.AA17412@crow.omni.co>, rpaul@crow.UUCP (Rodian
Paul) writes:
> > No No No No.  You missed the point.  I WANT the icons/images to appear.
> > I just don't want all 150 of them to appear -- junk those that I specify.
> > I need this to be done in such a way that all 150 home directories are
> > not searched by pandora.
> >

> Excerpt from %man pandora
>
>     If no image exists for a user, a icon representing the user may be
>     displayed. The file /etc/passwd.sgi contains a list of users who will be
>     displayed with a special icon denoting a "built-in" user.
>     This file consists of a series of lines, one for each user. Each line
>     contains a list of colon-separated fields. The first field on each line
>     is the name of the user. Additional fields may be provided. If the fields
>     "noshow" or "noicon" are present, the icon will not be displayed on the
>     login panel. The user will be required to type the full username in order
>     to log in.
>
>     Users whose home directory does not exist will not be displayed as icons.

> rpaul%crow@ccut.cc.u-tokyo.ac.jp	phone: +81 (3) 5706-8357
> ccut.cc.u-tokyo.ac.jp!crow!rpaul	  FAX: +81 (3) 5706-8437

I appreciate the few responses I have received.  HOWEVER, certain people
are not listening to what I am saying.  I understand what you have displayed
from the pandora man page -- and it works.  What the man page doesn't say
and what I have been trying to explain is that regardless of whether or
not a line containing "name:noshow" exists in the /etc/passwd.sgi file,
that persons home directory still gets searched!  I don't want that to
happen.  I don't know how many more different ways to say the same thing.

I would rather be able to put a line like "name:show" in the /etc/passwd.sgi
file and have pandora ONLY SEARCH THAT PERSONS HOME DIRECTORY.

      o o o o o o o . . .   ________________________________ _____=======_T___
    o      _____           ||Wes Barris                    | | wes@msc.edu   |
  .][__n_n_|DD[  ====_____  |Minnesota Supercomputer Center| |(612) 626-8090 |
 >(________|__|_[_________]_|University of Minnesota_______|_|_FAX: 626-1596_|_
 _/oo OOOOO oo`  ooo   ooo  'o^o^o                    o^o^o` 'o^o         o^o`
-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
Academy: A modern school where football is taught.

srp@babar.mmwb.ucsf.edu (Scott R. Presnell) (04/26/91)

rpaul@crow.UUCP (Rodian Paul) writes:

>> No No No No.  You missed the point.  I WANT the icons/images to appear.
>> I just don't want all 150 of them to appear -- junk those that I specify.
>> I need this to be done in such a way that all 150 home directories are
>> not searched by pandora.
>>

>Excerpt from %man pandora

>     If no image exists for a user, a icon representing the user may be
>     displayed. The file /etc/passwd.sgi contains a list of users who will be
>     displayed with a special icon denoting a "built-in" user.
>     This file consists of a series of lines, one for each user. Each line
>     contains a list of colon-separated fields. The first field on each line
>     is the name of the user. Additional fields may be provided. If the fields
>     "noshow" or "noicon" are present, the icon will not be displayed on the
>     login panel. The user will be required to type the full username in order
>     to log in.
>     Users whose home directory does not exist will not be displayed as icons.

Nevertheless, even when noshow or noicon are specified for a user, the home
directory of that user is *still* physically searched! I have the
automount/amd logs to prove it (can you say "mount storm?" - I new you
could!).  This is what the original post was referring to and this this is
why I asked for a SCR.  My guess is it is just some unfortunate coding that
triggers the search of the home area before checking for a "noicon" symbol
in the /etc/passwd.sgi file rather than the other way around.  This is as
of 3.3.1.  Please correct me if you have evidence to the contrary.  Lets
put this one to sleep.

	- Scott Presnell