[comp.sys.sgi] Second disk in a PI 4D/25 TG

SENGER@LAX.WISC.EDU (04/26/91)

Is it possible to put a second disk in the slot above the catridge
tape drive on the PI? If so, information on appropriate disks, sources
and prices would be appreciated. I am looking to get a little more storage
without going to an external box.

- steve
  senger@lax.wisc.edu

sgf@cfm.brown.edu (Sam Fulcomer) (04/26/91)

In article <21042512310717@lax.wisc.edu> SENGER@LAX.WISC.EDU writes:
>Is it possible to put a second disk in the slot above the catridge
>tape drive on the PI? If so, information on appropriate disks, sources

Falcon systems will sell you the bracket and seems to have the
best price of any source (for brackets...). Their # is 916-344-1221.

My suspicion is that you can use just about any drive as long as it's
jumpered correctly. SGI's fx utility is quite good (if not UI, certainly
the handling of the drive config...). I've installed the Fuji M2266.
Cursory initial testing showed nearly 2MB/sec on mixed r/w through the
filesystem (on a 4D-35...).
--
Sam Fulcomer	sgf@cfm.brown.edu		What, me panic: uba crazy

Associate Director for Computing Facilities and Scientific Visualization
Brown University Center for Fluid Mechanics, Turbulence and Computation

olson@anchor.esd.sgi.com (Dave Olson) (04/26/91)

In <21042512310717@lax.wisc.edu> SENGER@LAX.WISC.EDU writes:

| Is it possible to put a second disk in the slot above the catridge
| tape drive on the PI? If so, information on appropriate disks, sources
| and prices would be appreciated. I am looking to get a little more storage
| without going to an external box.

Sure, any half high scsi drive SHOULD work.  The only two
that we promise will work are the 200 (~170 formatted) and
380 (~330 formatted) Mbyte drives from Seagate that are
on our price list.

We don't have any half high drives bigger than that, although
I've heard we might have a 760 by the end of the year.

--

	Dave Olson