[comp.sys.sgi] staunching csh echoing under emacs on the Iris

ceb@krypton.arc.nasa.gov (BUCKLEY) (04/25/91)

Running 3.3.2, when I run a subsidiary csh under GNUemacs, in contrast to
most every other Unix I've seen, the csh echoes input to it.  In concert with
Emacs, this leads to a doubling of input lines.  While it's not a big
problem, it makes the generation of dribble files a rather tedious affair,
because you have to go through and edit out the doubling for every input event.

Is there some switch to the csh which will prevent it from doing this?
I believe the older versions looked at whether or not that which was
connected to it was a tty or not - the new one makes no distinction
(which means that ls always gives you unicolumnar output unless you
specify -C, among other things).

Personally I found the old arrangement to be quite fine.
Why was it changed?

bill@inls1.ucsd.edu (Bill Reynolds) (04/26/91)

put the following in you .cshrc

if($TERM == "emacs") then
	stty -echo
endif

gold@sgi.com (Michael Gold) (04/26/91)

In article <1991Apr24.235228.1140@news.arc.nasa.gov> ceb@krypton.arc.nasa.gov writes:
>Running 3.3.2, when I run a subsidiary csh under GNUemacs, in contrast to
>most every other Unix I've seen, the csh echoes input to it.  In concert with
>Emacs, this leads to a doubling of input lines.

Ahh, yes, I found this one too.  It turns out that if you set filec
it overrides "stty -echo".  The workaround I use in my .cshrc follows:

# Only set filec if not in emacs
if (! $?EMACS) then
    set filec
endif

Since emacs is kind enough to set this variable for you.

--
    Michael I. Gold	 	You go your way, I'll go mine,
    Silicon Graphics Inc.	I don't care if we get there on time,

ceb@krypton.arc.nasa.gov (BUCKLEY) (04/27/91)

In article <BILL.91Apr25142414@inls1.ucsd.edu>, bill@inls1.ucsd.edu (Bill Reynolds) writes...
>put the following in you .cshrc
>
>if($TERM == "emacs") then
>	stty -echo
>endif

I actually had something like that in there, the problem was that if filec
is set on the SGI 3.3.2 csh, then that csh does an stty echo (at least)
after every command is executed.  I rarely use filec, so I just turned it off,
and brought the matter to the attention of SGI.  I hope it will be fixed
in the course of time.

Still, it works on the other SGI machines and older SGI machines which I
use which NFS access that .cshrc.