[comp.sys.sgi] Reboot Key sequence

ih3e@ncd18a.cs.Virginia.EDU (Jan Hoenisch) (04/29/91)

Is there a reboot key sequence such that for example when a machine locks up I
can press a couple of keys instead of hitting the reset button?

Thanks, Jan

Ian Hoenisch (ih3e@virginia.edu) or (ih3e@uvacs.cs.virginia.edu)
Graduate Student, Computer Science Department, Thornton Hall,
University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA 22903-2442
Virtual reality is REAL; How real is virtuality?

rnelson@yoda.eecs.wsu.edu (Roger Nelson - Grad Student) (04/30/91)

In article <1991Apr29.124821@ncd18a.cs.Virginia.EDU> you write:
>Is there a reboot key sequence such that for example when a machine locks up I
>can press a couple of keys instead of hitting the reset button?

Good heavens NO!    UNIX != MS-DOS

You should avoid resetting your SGI's at all costs.
Resetting the machine without shutting down UNIX can cause serious
file system damage (In most cases, UNIX will do a pretty good job of
fixing things, however).

If your graphics console is locking up, you should have a terminal in
serial port 1 with which you can bring the system down nicely.  An
inexpensive terminal is well worth the time and aggrevation of
reinstalling software and recovering from damaged file systems.

If the machine is locking up, you are doing something wrong, or there
is something wrong with the OS, or you are playing around with
root priviledges <- I bet it's this one :-).

You should only use the magic button or power down if you are not able
to login from a terminal on a serial port.

I have only had to reset our machines once in the last six months when
I incorrectly mounted a harddisk partition.

olson@anchor.esd.sgi.com (Dave Olson) (04/30/91)

In <1991Apr29.124821@ncd18a.cs.Virginia.EDU> ih3e@ncd18a.cs.Virginia.EDU (Jan Hoenisch) writes:

| Is there a reboot key sequence such that for example when a machine locks up I
| can press a couple of keys instead of hitting the reset button?

No.

There is a sequence that will terminate all graphics processes.  Pressing the
left ctrl and shift keys at the same time as the f12 and keypad / keys will
terminate all the graphics.  This may not exist in 4.0, or may have a
different key sequence, I'm not sure yet.
--

	Dave Olson

jim@baroque.Stanford.EDU (James Helman) (04/30/91)

   Good heavens NO!    UNIX != MS-DOS

Also Today's UNIX != Seventh Edition.

In the old days, a crash or live halt on an active system would almost
always seriously trash your filesystems.  But today's new and improved
Unixes take great care to make sure that directory and inode changes
are quickly written to disk.  While not recommended, bopping the reset
button usually causes no lossage to files except those currently being
written.  Unfortunately, there is often no alternative when a machine
is really wedged.

I've cold cocked our IRISes with live resets dozens and dozens of
times without incident.  And many times while walking to the machine
room, I have wished for the equivalent of Sun's <L1><A> halt sequence.

As for <L-Ctrl><L-Shft><F12><KPad-/>, I hope it has been retained in
4.0.  It's a big time saver when whipping wedged windows.

Jim Helman
Department of Applied Physics			Durand 012
Stanford University				FAX: (415) 725-3377
(jim@KAOS.stanford.edu) 			Work: (415) 723-9127