[comp.sys.sgi] lpr on diskless machines

jacky@CS.TECHNION.AC.IL (jacky romano) (04/22/91)

I'm using a diskless machine (IRIS-4D 20B) under IRIX 3.3.2, and I have
problems with printing on a remote printer. I'm using the BSD system
(lpr, lpq, lpd) and I'm keep getting the the following error messages:

> lpr foo
lpr: connect: Socket operation on non-socket
jobs queued, cannot start daemon.

> lpq

isolde: Warning: no daemon present
Rank	Owner	Job	Files
1st	jacky	39	foo.c

By the way, I have noticed that the file /dev/printer is not a special file
as it suposse to be, but a plain one with the attributes:
-rwxrwxrwx    1   root    lp    0 Apr 15  13:24  /dec/printer*

Thanks, and sorry for my bad english.
--

Jacky Romano
Center for intelligent Systems

ajd@cs.mu.OZ.AU (Ashley Dreier) (04/26/91)

jacky@CS.TECHNION.AC.IL (jacky romano) writes:

>I'm using a diskless machine (IRIS-4D 20B) under IRIX 3.3.2, and I have
>problems with printing on a remote printer. I'm using the BSD system
>(lpr, lpq, lpd) and I'm keep getting the the following error messages:

>> lpr foo
>lpr: connect: Socket operation on non-socket
>jobs queued, cannot start daemon.

>> lpq

>isolde: Warning: no daemon present
>Rank	Owner	Job	Files
>1st	jacky	39	foo.c

>By the way, I have noticed that the file /dev/printer is not a special file
>as it suposse to be, but a plain one with the attributes:
>-rwxrwxrwx    1   root    lp    0 Apr 15  13:24  /dec/printer*

>Thanks, and sorry for my bad english.
>--

>Jacky Romano
>Center for intelligent Systems
>Technion - IIT
>Haifa - Israel
>E-mail: jacky@isaac.cs.technion.ac.il

I get something very aimilar to this. It seems that diskless machines
can't create sockets (at least the 4D/20s anyway). I also cannot
run Xwindows for the same reason, although I am able to run X
applications if the environment variable DISPLAY is set okay.
Running xinit or xstart just causes the machine to wait for a socket to
be create to the Xserver, and it just sits there and waits, and waits.....
Machines with disks (both 4D/20 and 4D/25s seem to behave properly).
I've had no response from the SGI huys over here as yet.
Any suggestions will be greatly apreciated.

		Ashley Dreier
		(ajd@cs.mu.oz.au)

jesse@camelot.sgi.com (Jesse Rendleman) (05/01/91)

> (jacky romano) writes:
> >I'm using a diskless machine (IRIS-4D 20B) under IRIX 3.3.2, and I have
> >problems with printing on a remote printer. I'm using the BSD system
> >(lpr, lpq, lpd) and I'm keep getting the the following error messages:
> ..
> >By the way, I have noticed that the file /dev/printer is not a special file
> >as it suposse to be, but a plain one with the attributes:
> >-rwxrwxrwx    1   root    lp    0 Apr 15  13:24  /dec/printer*
>
> (Ashley Dreier) writes:
> >I get something very aimilar to this. It seems that diskless machines
> >can't create sockets (at least the 4D/20s anyway). I also cannot
> >run Xwindows for the same reason, although I am able to run X
> >applications if the environment variable DISPLAY is set okay.
> >Running xinit or xstart just causes the machine to wait for a socket to
> >be create to the Xserver, and it just sits there and waits, and waits.....
> >Machines with disks (both 4D/20 and 4D/25s seem to behave properly).
> >I've had no response from the SGI huys over here as yet.
> >Any suggestions will be greatly apreciated.

This is a known problem, actually with how nfs handled the fact that
the file was of type "socket", bug number 11531.  A fix has been
incorporated into Irix version 3.3.3.