[comp.sys.sgi] lp question

shenkin@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Peter S. Shenkin) (04/28/91)

Sometimes my system gets into a state in which "lpstat" shows jobs queued up,
but the "cancel" command returns the message "PostScript was not busy", or
something like that.  The jobs show up using the Printer Tool, and can
be deleted using it, but does anyone know what is happening?  Can you
suggest a way that I can cancel these jobs using "cancel" or something
similar?

This is a 4d25 / IRIX 3.2.2 / Transcript / Apple LaserWriter IINT.  I
did not get Transcript from SGI;  Columbia has a site-license, so I
put it up myself starting with source.

	-P.
************************f*u*cn*rd*ths*u*cn*gt*a*gd*jb**************************
Peter S. Shenkin, Department of Chemistry, Barnard College, New York, NY  10027
(212)854-1418  shenkin@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu(Internet)  shenkin@cunixf(Bitnet)
***"In scenic New York... where the third world is only a subway ride away."***

suresh@babu.esd.sgi.com (Sureshbabu Katta) (04/30/91)

!>In article <1991Apr27.222353.5386@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>, Peter S. Shenkin writes:
[...]

when u are giving cancel command from shell,  if the cancel thinks your printer
name associated with the job is bogus, then it can  give message like this:

printer  <NAME> was not busy.

Printer Tool uses the same 'cancel' command to delete the job.

-suresh 	suresh@sgi.com

shenkin@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Peter S. Shenkin) (04/30/91)

In article <1991Apr29.174411.9628@odin.corp.sgi.com> suresh@babu.esd.sgi.com (Sureshbabu Katta) writes:

>when u are giving cancel command from shell,  if the cancel thinks your printer
>name associated with the job is bogus, then it can  give message like this:

>printer  <NAME> was not busy.

I think this is the message I am getting.

>Printer Tool uses the same 'cancel' command to delete the job.

Then why does Printer Tool work when the 'cancel' command does not?  And
how can I get the cancel command to work?  I am using a csh alias:

	alias can cancel PostScript

so it is not a matter of spelling the name wrong.  PostScript is the only
printer, and is the name that the Printer Tool displays for the printer.  So
why doesn't 'cancel' work, and how can I make it work?

	-P.

************************f*u*cn*rd*ths*u*cn*gt*a*gd*jb**************************
Peter S. Shenkin, Department of Chemistry, Barnard College, New York, NY  10027
(212)854-1418  shenkin@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu(Internet)  shenkin@cunixf(Bitnet)
***"In scenic New York... where the third world is only a subway ride away."***

suresh@babu.esd.sgi.com (Sureshbabu Katta) (04/30/91)

!>	alias can cancel PostScript

!>so it is not a matter of spelling the name wrong.  PostScript is the only
!>printer, and is the name that the Printer Tool displays for the printer.  So
!>why doesn't 'cancel' work, and how can I make it work?

	The above command cancels the request which is currently getting printed.
The printer was idle when u requested the cancel. Read the man page for cancel
command.

shenkin@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Peter S. Shenkin) (05/01/91)

In article <1991Apr29.232947.18235@odin.corp.sgi.com> suresh@babu.esd.sgi.com (Sureshbabu Katta) writes:
>!>	alias can cancel PostScript
>
>	The above command cancels the request which is currently getting printed.
>The printer was idle when u requested the cancel. Read the man page for cancel
>command.

Sorry, I still do not understand.  I have read the man page many times.
"lpstat" shows several jobs queued up to print, yet "cancel PostScript" does
not cancel any of them.  Why not?  Why is the printer idle if "lpstat" shows
jobs?