[comp.sys.sgi] Thanks and summary: Re: lp question

shenkin@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Peter S. Shenkin) (05/01/91)

In article <1991Apr30.193149.27550@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> shenkin@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Peter S. Shenkin) writes:
>In article <1991Apr29.232947.18235@odin.corp.sgi.com> suresh@babu.esd.sgi.com (Sureshbabu Katta) writes:
>>!>	alias can cancel PostScript
>>
>>	The above command cancels the request which is currently getting printed.
>>The printer was idle when u requested the cancel. Read the man page for cancel
>>command.
>
>Sorry, I still do not understand.  I have read the man page many times.
>"lpstat" shows several jobs queued up to print, yet "cancel PostScript" does
>not cancel any of them.  Why not?  Why is the printer idle if "lpstat" shows
>jobs?

I'd like to thank Sureshbabu and the others who responded publically and
privately, for being tolerant of my thickheadedness in this matter, and
finally getting me to understand what is happening.  I am summarizing the
situation just in case there are others who are as confused as I was.
(Unlikely, I know. :-) )

Anyway, the nub is that the printer can be idle when jobs are queued up.  A
bare "cancel PrinterName" command then fails, because the printer is not active.
But the command "cancel PrinterName-Job#" works, because this works on queued
jobs as well as idle jobs.  PrinterTool works because it uses the latter form
of the "cancel" command.

Of course, this does not explain why it is that the printer can be idle when
there are jobs queued, but that's another matter.  My confusion was in not
understanding that this can happen.

	Thanks again to all respondants for both your advice and your patience.
	-P.
Peter S. Shenkin, Department of Chemistry, Barnard College, New York, NY  10027
(212)854-1418  shenkin@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu(Internet)  shenkin@cunixf(Bitnet)
***"In scenic New York... where the third world is only a subway ride away."***