[comp.sys.sgi] comp.sci.sgi & info-iris

Dan Karron@UCBVAX.BERKELEY.EDU (05/02/91)

I have seen this posted before, and I never saw any answer.

Now I am finding that people are answering to comp.sci.sgi and
I never see it because I only get info-iris.

What is the relationship between the two mechanisms ?

How does an item posted to comp.sci.sgi get to info-iris,
and stuff on info-iris get to comp.sci.sgi ?

Who are the responsible parties  at info-iris and who
(if anyone) maintains comp.sci.sgi ?

Does anyone have a version of rn ( I guess that
that is the program that runs notes) that they
are happy with and would make public ? When I have time
and lots of extra disk space I will have to also setup
a comp.sci.sgi if I can't find out who fixes info-iris.

| karron@nyu.edu (e-mail alias )         Dan Karron, Research Associate      |
| Phone: 212 263 5210 Fax: 212 263 7190  New York University Medical Center  |
| 560 First Avenue                       Digital Pager <1> (212) 397 9330    |
| New York, New York 10016               <2> 10896   <3> <your-number-here>  |

jim@baroque.Stanford.EDU (James Helman) (05/02/91)

Strangely, the comp.sys.sgi <-> info-iris connection is not mentioned
in the monthly list of gatewayed newsgroup posted to news.lists.  From
the message headers on the comp.sys.sgi side, it appears that ucbvax
is doing the list -> newsgroup forwarding.  The info-iris maintainers
at info-iris-request@vmb.brl.mil should know for sure.

Personally, I wish mailing lists would go away and die.  Messages
posted via mailing lists lack the niceties that news provides such as
including reference numbers for thread sorting and traversing.  Now
that NNTP has reduced news propagation delays, mailing lists have
little reason to exist.

-jim

Jim Helman
Department of Applied Physics			Durand 012
Stanford University				FAX: (415) 725-3377
(jim@KAOS.stanford.edu) 			Work: (415) 723-9127

shenkin@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Peter S. Shenkin) (05/03/91)

In article <JIM.91May2100213@baroque.Stanford.EDU> jim@baroque.Stanford.EDU (James Helman) writes:

>Personally, I wish mailing lists would go away and die.  Messages
>posted via mailing lists lack the niceties that news provides such as
>including reference numbers for thread sorting and traversing.  Now
>that NNTP has reduced news propagation delays, mailing lists have
>little reason to exist.

Sorry, I couldn't let this one go by.  Fortunately, I have access to a large
site that has enough system administrators to maintain the news software and
enough disk space to store the news.  Many of us out there do not.  For those
of us, mailing lists are a low-overhead method of receiving this information.
Furthermore, many mailing lists are of low enough volume that it doesn't make
sense to make usenet groups out of them.  Info-iris is of course an exception.

I prefer to read info-iris as a newsgroup, but I'd hate to see mailing lists
go away, because I'd hate to have to manage news on my own machine.  I've
been there in the past, and it's a bore.

	-P.

Peter S. Shenkin, Department of Chemistry, Barnard College, New York, NY  10027
(212)854-1418  shenkin@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu(Internet)  shenkin@cunixf(Bitnet)
***"In scenic New York... where the third world is only a subway ride away."***