[comp.sys.sgi] 4D4X0 ??

root@fuzzy (Dr. Michael M. Cohen) (04/27/91)

Re: The recently announced 4D4X0 systems, can you (Dave) post
some details here? Is this the R4000 based system or just a faster
R3000? Any ETA on the system (and on arrival of R4000 upgrades
for 4D3X0 systems)?
	TIA, MMCohen

jeremy@perf2.asd.sgi.com (Jeremy Higdon) (04/27/91)

In article <15089@darkstar.ucsc.edu>, root@fuzzy (Dr. Michael M. Cohen) writes:
> Re: The recently announced 4D4X0 systems, can you (Dave) post
> some details here? Is this the R4000 based system or just a faster
> R3000? Any ETA on the system (and on arrival of R4000 upgrades
> for 4D3X0 systems)?
> 	TIA, MMCohen

I'm not Dave, but . . . .

The 4D/400 family are 40 mhz R3000 machines.  From what I've seen,
there will be a 420, 440, and 480 (of course, you can also get
to what would be a 460, though there is no model by that name in
the periodic table I've seen).  Dates you'll have to get from your
salesman.

ken@uh.msc.umn.edu (Ken Chin-Purcell) (04/28/91)

Jeremy Higdon writes:

> The 4D/400 family are 40 mhz R3000 machines.

Has either bus (Iris or VME) gotten faster?  We're hungry for
throughput....

--  Ken Chin-Purcell, Graphics, AHPCRC, Minnesota Supercomputer Ctr.
--  also known as ken@msc.edu and 612-626-8090

jeremy@perf2.asd.sgi.com (Jeremy Higdon) (04/30/91)

In article <3985@uc.msc.umn.edu>, ken@uh.msc.umn.edu (Ken Chin-Purcell) writes:
> Jeremy Higdon writes:
>
> > The 4D/400 family are 40 mhz R3000 machines.
>
> Has either bus (Iris or VME) gotten faster?  We're hungry for
> throughput....

The VME and MP buses run at the same speed, but with the 1MB second
level cache, you will probably get a better cache hit rate; thus, you
shouldn't need as many MP bus accesses.

jmb@patton.wpd.sgi.com (Jim Barton) (05/02/91)

In article <100399@sgi.sgi.com>, jeremy@perf2.asd.sgi.com (Jeremy Higdon) writes:
|> From: jeremy@perf2.asd.sgi.com (Jeremy Higdon)
|> Newsgroups: comp.sys.sgi
|> Subject: Re: 4D4X0 ??
|> Date: 30 Apr 91 04:26:16 GMT

|> > Has either bus (Iris or VME) gotten faster?  We're hungry for
|> > throughput....
|> >

|> The VME and MP buses run at the same speed, but with the 1MB second
|> level cache, you will probably get a better cache hit rate; thus, you
|> shouldn't need as many MP bus accesses.

Now wait a second. The MP bus SUSTAINS 64Mb/s read bandwidth from memory, and
32Mb/s write bandwidth to memory/IO. The IO DMA engine is built to run at
32Mb/s, so that is the theoretical peak for IO bandwidth.

The VMEbus PEAKS at 32Mb/s in the best of all possible worlds. Measured IO3
(POWERChannel) VMEbus performance is 24-28Mb/s with fast IO controllers.

-- Jim Barton
   Silicon Graphics Computer Systems
   jmb@sgi.com

jeremy@perf2.asd.sgi.com (Jeremy Higdon) (05/03/91)

In article <1991May2.012911.10176@odin.corp.sgi.com>, jmb@patton.wpd.sgi.com (Jim Barton) writes:
> In article <100399@sgi.sgi.com>, jeremy@perf2.asd.sgi.com (Jeremy Higdon) writes:
> |> From: jeremy@perf2.asd.sgi.com (Jeremy Higdon)
> |> Newsgroups: comp.sys.sgi
> |> Subject: Re: 4D4X0 ??
> |> Date: 30 Apr 91 04:26:16 GMT

> |> The VME and MP buses run at the same speed,

					       ^ on the 4D/400 and the
					         4D/300 machines.

In article <101106@sgi.sgi.com>, jeremy@perf2.asd.sgi.com (Jeremy Higdon) writes:

> 					       ^ on the 4D/400 and the