[comp.sys.sgi] C compiler question

dboles@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David Boles) (05/03/91)

I am having a problem with the MIPS C compiler.  When I compile,
I use the command cc -acpp -prototypes -p0.  The p0 is there because
the C compiler seems to get confused and generates profiling info.
The main problem is that the -prototype option doesn't work correctly.
There are no warnings generated when I compile code in which the
function prototype does not match its definition!  I can get by with
just the acpp preprocessor for my macros, but function prototyping
provides a very powerful way to keep your code healthy.

Any comments?  When is MIPS C going to be real C (i.e. ANSI)?

David Boles                                       Applied Research Laboratories
dboles@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu                        DOS is severely brain-damaged,
apas611@chpc.utexas.edu                   so just pull the plug and let it DIE.

trevc@tecate.mips.com (Trevor Cotton) (05/03/91)

In article <48295@ut-emx.uucp>, dboles@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David Boles) writes:
|> I am having a problem with the MIPS C compiler.  When I compile,
|> I use the command cc -acpp -prototypes -p0.  The p0 is there because
|> the C compiler seems to get confused and generates profiling info.
|> The main problem is that the -prototype option doesn't work correctly.
|> There are no warnings generated when I compile code in which the
|> function prototype does not match its definition!  I can get by with
|> just the acpp preprocessor for my macros, but function prototyping
|> provides a very powerful way to keep your code healthy.
|>
|> Any comments?  When is MIPS C going to be real C (i.e. ANSI)?
|>

|> --
|> -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
|> David Boles                                       Applied Research Laboratories
|> dboles@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu                        DOS is severely brain-damaged,
|> apas611@chpc.utexas.edu                   so just pull the plug and let it DIE.
|> -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MIPS ANSI-CC release 2.20 is available now as an optional product
for the MIPS line of systems. As to when SGI will make this available,
I cannot comment.

--
--trevc--

davea@quasar.wpd.sgi.com (David B.Anderson) (05/04/91)

In article <48295@ut-emx.uucp> dboles@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David Boles) writes:
>I am having a problem with the MIPS C compiler.  When I compile,
>I use the command cc -acpp -prototypes -p0.  The p0 is there because
>the C compiler seems to get confused and generates profiling info.
>The main problem is that the -prototype option doesn't work correctly.

The key is spelling:
	-prototype
is taken as -p  (Link with the profiling startup and library).
	-prototypes
is taken to mean ``check prototypes''.

That -prototype is silently interpreted as -p is a bug.

The release 4.0 driver says about -prototype
	cc: Error: malformed or unknown option -prototype

Regards,
[ David B. Anderson  Silicon Graphics  (415)335-1548  davea@sgi.com ]
[``What could possibly go wrong?''                      --Calvin
 `` Whenever you ask that, my tail gets all bushy.''    --Hobbes    ]

In article <2966@spim.mips.COM> trevc@mips.com writes:
>In article <48295@ut-emx.uucp>, dboles@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David Boles) writes:
[stuff deleted]
>|> Any comments?  When is MIPS C going to be real C (i.e. ANSI)?
[stuff deleted]
>MIPS ANSI-CC release 2.20 is available now as an optional product

We released ANSI C in January 91.