[comp.sys.sgi] Don't want to be interrupted

mmcohen@ssyx.ucsc.edu (Michael M. Cohen) (05/03/91)

While I am rendering real time video to NTSC tape,
I don't want anything to slow me down to below 30 fps.
This slowdown can occur if I move the mouse, if someone
logs in, if mail arrives, the disk updates etc...
Is there an easy way to lock out all distractions
temporarily? Perhaps someone has a shell to find
demons and stop them (and another to later bring them
back to life)? Might be necessary to temporarily
incapacitate the scheduler and swapping also (application
should have no problem fitting in existing memory)?
[machine id 4D310VGX-FX irix 3.3.2 16mb]

TIA for advice, MMCohen

karsh@trifolium.esd.sgi.com (Bruce Karsh) (05/04/91)

In article mmcohen@ssyx.ucsc.edu (Michael M. Cohen) writes:

>While I am rendering real time video to NTSC tape,
>I don't want anything to slow me down to below 30 fps.
>This slowdown can occur if I move the mouse, if someone
>logs in, if mail arrives, the disk updates etc...
>Is there an easy way to lock out all distractions
>temporarily? Perhaps someone has a shell to find
>demons and stop them (and another to later bring them
>back to life)? Might be necessary to temporarily
>incapacitate the scheduler and swapping also (application
>should have no problem fitting in existing memory)?
>[machine id 4D310VGX-FX irix 3.3.2 16mb]

You can do pretty by using the npri command to give your process a high
non-degrading priority or by using the schedctl system call.  You can also
lock your process in memory by using the plock system call.

			Bruce Karsh
			karsh@sgi.com

karsh@trifolium.esd.sgi.com (Bruce Karsh) (05/05/91)

In article <101516@sgi.sgi.com> karsh@trifolium.sgi.com (Bruce Karsh) writes:
>You can do pretty by using the npri command to give your process a high
                  ^ well
>non-degrading priority or by using the schedctl system call.  You can also
>lock your process in memory by using the plock system call.

			Bruce Karsh
			karsh@sgi.com

mg@godzilla.cgl.rmit.oz.au (Mike Gigante) (05/05/91)

Use npri.

	npri -h 39 <cmd>

should just about doit. You need to be root to do this.

Note that you can go down to I think  -h 30, <man npri> indicates that
interactive jobs can't normally go below 40.

Mike