[comp.sys.sgi] less pager on SGI machines

steve@wrc.unr.edu (Stephen Wheatcraft) (05/07/91)

Has anyone successfully compiled "less" on SGI machines?
I have used "less" instead of "more" for years on my
Sun, and I just got around to trying to compile it on
my SGI 4D-25TG. I ran into several problems, undoubtedly
due to the fact that it was originally a Berkely 4.2
program.

Surely, somebody has ported "less" to SGI, if so, could
you please mail me a copy, or info on where to ftp it
from?

Thanks,

Steve Wheatcraft                Internet: steve@.wrc.unr.edu
Desert Research Institute       Bitnet  : steve@unsvax.bitnet
University of Nevada System
P.O. Box 60220                  AT&T    : (702) 673-7393
Reno, NV 89506                  FAX     : (702) 673-7397

"The problem with the future is that
it keeps turning into the present." -- Hobbes

shenkin@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Peter S. Shenkin) (05/07/91)

In article <6219@tahoe.unr.edu> steve@wrc.unr.edu (Stephen Wheatcraft) writes:
>Has anyone successfully compiled "less" on SGI machines?
>I have used "less" instead of "more" for years on my
>Sun, and I just got around to trying to compile it on
>my SGI 4D-25TG. I ran into several problems....

I am posting, rather than replying, in case there is wider interest.

I have been using "less" on my 4d25tg since October, with no problems
whatsoever.  According to the notes I made at the time, I made a few
changes to the makefile, but these seem to have been just for personal
convenience, rather than necessity.

Anyway, I'm using less5 from volume16 of the comp.sources.unix archives,
ftp-able from uunet.uu.net [192.48.96.2].

	-P.
************************f*u*cn*rd*ths*u*cn*gt*a*gd*jb**************************
Peter S. Shenkin, Department of Chemistry, Barnard College, New York, NY  10027
(212)854-1418  shenkin@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu(Internet)  shenkin@cunixf(Bitnet)
***"In scenic New York... where the third world is only a subway ride away."***

silvert@cs.dal.ca (Bill Silvert) (05/08/91)

In article <1991May7.150936.18803@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> shenkin@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Peter S. Shenkin) writes:

>Anyway, I'm using less5 from volume16 of the comp.sources.unix archives,
>ftp-able from uunet.uu.net [192.48.96.2].

This is a pretty old version.  I am running less 177, which was posted
very recently, on a 4D/25.  I don't recall what changes (if any) were
needed to compile it, but if there is demand I can make it available as
both source and binary by anon ftp.

Bill
--
William Silvert, Habitat Ecology Division, Bedford Inst. of Oceanography
P. O. Box 1006, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CANADA B2Y 4A2.  Tel. (902)426-1577