[comp.sys.sgi] help with IRIX 3.3.1 update!!

adaptive@libra.cs.nps.navy.mil (zyda res acct) (05/07/91)

Hi,
yesterday I installed IRIX 3.3 on my 4D/25TG using autoinst. When I
loaded the 3.3.1 maintenance release I received the following error
message:

>Pre-Installation check failure:
>The following subsystems cannot be installed beacause they are
>replaced by newer versions already on the disk. If you want to
>install the older versions, you must remove newer versions first.
>
>	maint1.dev_man.cc		C compiler and support
>	maint1.dev_sw.cc
>	maint1.dev_sw.crypt		Security Admin Lib
>	maint1.dev_sw.sccs		SCCS utilities
>	maint1.nfs_man.nfs		NFS support
>	maint1.nfs_sw.dskless	Diskless support
>	maint1.nfs_sw.nfs		NFS support
>	maint1.nfs_sw.yp		Yellow pages

I am not a systems admin type and would like to know if anyone has
run into this problem. Why would the 3.3.1 maintenance update tape
contain older versions of software that has been previously installed?
Am I missing the boat here?

thanks,
george dabrowski

bobg@rains.wpd.sgi.com (Bob Green) (05/08/91)

In article <9105062249.AA18971@libra.cs.nps.navy.mil>, adaptive@libra.cs.nps.navy.mil (zyda res acct) writes:
|> Hi,
|> yesterday I installed IRIX 3.3 on my 4D/25TG using autoinst. When I
|> loaded the 3.3.1 maintenance release I received the following error
|> message:
|>
|> >Pre-Installation check failure:
|> >The following subsystems cannot be installed beacause they are
|> >replaced by newer versions already on the disk. If you want to
|> >install the older versions, you must remove newer versions first.
|> >
|> >	maint1.dev_man.cc		C compiler and support
|> >	maint1.dev_sw.cc
|> >	maint1.dev_sw.crypt		Security Admin Lib
|> >	maint1.dev_sw.sccs		SCCS utilities
|> >	maint1.nfs_man.nfs		NFS support
|> >	maint1.nfs_sw.dskless	Diskless support
|> >	maint1.nfs_sw.nfs		NFS support
|> >	maint1.nfs_sw.yp		Yellow pages
|>
|> I am not a systems admin type and would like to know if anyone has
|> run into this problem. Why would the 3.3.1 maintenance update tape
|> contain older versions of software that has been previously installed?
|> Am I missing the boat here?
|>
|> thanks,
|> george dabrowski

The automatic option on maintenance images detects if you have already
installed the product and marks the subsystems as default install if they are
out of date.  The symptom you describe would indicate to me that perhaps
the system you received already had a maintenance release later than
4D1-3.3.1.  Systems shipping from SGI today are installed with 4D1-3.3.2.

Bob Green

hooft@fys.ruu.nl (Rob Hooft) (05/08/91)

In <9105062249.AA18971@libra.cs.nps.navy.mil> adaptive@libra.cs.nps.navy.mil (zyda res acct) writes:

>>Pre-Installation check failure:
>>The following subsystems cannot be installed beacause they are
>>replaced by newer versions already on the disk. If you want to
>>install the older versions, you must remove newer versions first.
>>

>I am not a systems admin type and would like to know if anyone has
>run into this problem. Why would the 3.3.1 maintenance update tape
>contain older versions of software that has been previously installed?
>Am I missing the boat here?

I think that you, as well as we, had a separate shipment of the development
system. I ran into the same problem. It is very easy to solve.

Select a manual update to 3.3.1, and ask for a list of subsystems to install
All subsystems that say "There is already a newer version" must be deselected.

Be careful: all "N"ewer marked subsystems must be "K"ept, while all "O"lder
versions must be "I"nstalled. See manuals.

Then install the systems by typing "go".

If you try to quit the "instal>", it will probably tell you that the debugger
you're running is not compatible with the 3.3.1 system. use "versions delete" as
indicated, and everything works fine.

Disclaimer: I did this here, and it works. Don't try to get me if it doesn't
with your system.
--
Rob Hooft, Chemistry department University of Utrecht.
hooft@hutruu54.bitnet hooft@chem.ruu.nl hooft@fys.ruu.nl