[comp.sys.sgi] How do I make a slider in a GL program?

jim@baroque.Stanford.EDU (James Helman) (05/06/91)

FAQ: Some options:

1) Try Dave Tristram's panel library, which is available free from
NASA Ames.  Unfortunately, to please the bean counters, it isn't
available by FTP.  You'll need to write for a copy.

	Panel Request
	MS T045-1
	NASA  Ames Research Center
	Moffett Field, California 94035

	panel-request@nas.nasa.gov

2) FORMS is another package.  It's available by anonymous FTP to
archive.cs.ruu.nl and perelandra.cms.udel.edu, but I haven't tried it.
I've heard it has less variety than the panel library, but is simpler.

3) Are you X-ward bound?  If ugliness doesn't bother you, you could
use the free Athena Widget set (from the IRIX 3.3 X developer's tape
or from ftp to fresnel.stanford.edu).  If aesthetics matter, you could
buy Motif for that "3D" look.  However, both of these require a little
more than a mkslider() call. X, you understand.  ;-).

-jim

Jim Helman
Department of Applied Physics			Durand 012
Stanford University				FAX: (415) 725-3377
(jim@KAOS.stanford.edu) 			Work: (415) 723-9127

dan@doctor.chem.yale.edu (Dan Severance) (05/07/91)

  Hi,
     Are there any functions out there that define a simple slider
that can be called along the lines of:
call mkslider(slidenum,xscreen_coord,y_screen_coord,minval,maxval)
and val=read_slider(slidenum) ??
     Thanks, I'm using the GL libraries (Fortran, but I can deal with C),
on a P.I. 4D-25 soon to be 4D-35..

     Dan Severance

     dan@omega.chem.yale.edu
     Laboratory of Computational Chemistry
     Yale University

blue@cam.nist.gov (Jim_Blue_x3809) (05/07/91)

I've tried both the Panel library and the Forms library. I prefer the
Forms library; in addition, it doesn't have any restrictions on
re-distributing.

hultquis@nas.nasa.gov (Jeff P. M. Hultquist) (05/07/91)

In article <8512@fs2.cam.nist.gov> blue@cam.nist.gov (Jim_Blue_x3809) writes:

jh> 1) Try Dave Tristram's panel library, which is available free from
jh> NASA Ames.  Unfortunately, to please the bean counters, it isn't
jh> available by FTP.  You'll need to write for a copy.
jh> 	panel-request@nas.nasa.gov
jh>
jh> 2) FORMS is another package.  It's available by anonymous FTP to
jh> archive.cs.ruu.nl and perelandra.cms.udel.edu, but I haven't tried it.
jh> I've heard it has less variety than the panel library, but is simpler.

JB>    I've tried both the Panel library and the Forms library. I prefer the
JB>    Forms library; in addition, it doesn't have any restrictions on
JB>    re-distributing.

panel-request>   I agree.  :-)

Seriously though, either package is fine if all you want is
buttons and sliders.  Here is a run-down of the PROS and the
CONS of the two packages:

DISTRIBUTION:  the Panel-Lib must be obtained by signing a
  release form which prohibits redistribution of either source
  or binary.  (Arg!  Too many lawyers!)  FORMS is directly
  available and fully redistributable for non-commercial use
  (:-)  No lawyers!)

SUPPORT:  Both packages are free; and so neither package
  comes with support.  The FORMS library is still being
  extended and enhanced;  ALL WORK ON THE PANEL LIB HAS
  CEASED.

POWER:  The panel library is somewhat more flexible; it
  has multiply-handled sliders, strip-charts, meters, dials,
  and other what-not.

CLEANLINESS:  The code in the Panel-Lib is messy in places;
  if you are interested in hacking up new sorts of widgets,
  I would recommend the FORMS package.

DOCUMENTATION:  Both packages have fairly large programmers
  manuals.  Neither package has much prose in the source.

WHAT I RECOMMEND:  Use the FORMS package until IRIX4.0 is
  available, then bite the bullet and switch to X.

-- panel-request@nas.nasa.gov
   (Jeff Hultquist)

Jeff Hultquist				hultquis@nas.nasa.gov
NASA - Ames Research Center		(415) 604-4970
Disclaimer:  "I am not a rocket scientist."

mg@godzilla.cgl.rmit.oz.au (Mike Gigante) (05/10/91)

blue@cam.nist.gov (Jim_Blue_x3809) writes:

>I've tried both the Panel library and the Forms library. I prefer the
>Forms library; in addition, it doesn't have any restrictions on
>re-distributing.

I would *strongly* echo this sentiment.

Forms is also easier to read, easier to extend, etc etc etc.

MG