[comp.sys.sgi] resolv.conf vs. Pixar License Server

bryan@pi.eai.iastate.edu (Bryan Manske) (05/10/91)

I'm investigating /etc/hosts and /usr/etc/resolv.conf and I have a
question.  My resolv.conf looks like this:

hostresorder local bind
nameserver 129.186.xxx.xxx    ( yes, there are numbers in place of the
nameserver 129.186.xxx.xxx      xxx's, I'm just address shy.)
nameserver 129.186.xxx.xxx

and mail and ftp work fine, but now I have a problem with a Pixar
License Server for Renderman.  The Renderman License Server says it
can't find the host when resolv.conf is running.  So, a question, if
it please the net,...
Do I have the host/nameserver order correct so that it looks
first to /etc/hosts then to the nameserver? If so, am I to suspect
that Pixar doesn't like to work and play well with others?

Would someone from SGI have any ideas, please?

Thanx in advance.

Bryan
EAI
--
Bryan Manske  (515) 292-9908        . Sometimes I wish I had a knob to
Engineering Animation, Inc.         . turn up the intellignece on the

wicinski@bill-n-ted.esd.sgi.com (Tim Wicinski) (05/10/91)

In <1991May9.215504.16498@news.iastate.edu> bryan@pi.eai.iastate.edu (Bryan Manske) writes:
>Do I have the host/nameserver order correct so that it looks
>first to /etc/hosts then to the nameserver? If so, am I to suspect
>that Pixar doesn't like to work and play well with others?

make sure the pixar stuff is linked -libsun. i've seen many a problems
with third party apps that forget to link -libsun. add the server to the
host file locally and see what happens.

tim