From: MAILER-DAEMON@rainbow.mitre.org (Mail Delivery Subsystem)
Subject: Returned mail: Service unavailable
To: <marc@eddie.ee.vt.edu>

>>> HELO rainbow
<<< 553 rainbow I refuse to talk to myself
554 <marc@rainbow.mitre.org>... Service unavailable

   ----- Unsent message follows -----
*** Stuff deleted ***

	Does anyone have any ideas??  Everything has been working
fine for about a year and the only mail related thing I've changed
is Elm.

Thank you very much in advance.

---
* Marc Friedman
* The MITRE Corporation
* 7525 Colshire Drive
* McLean, VA  22102
* M/S W291
* Voice: (703) 883-5247

amys@TheImprov.ncsa.uiuc.edu (Amy Swanson) (04/27/91)

marc@EDDIE.EE.VT.EDU (Marc Friedman) writes:

<stuff about Elm deleted>
>.... Now whenever
>mail is sent to this machine (hostname: rainbow), I get the
>following returned mail:

>From: MAILER-DAEMON@rainbow.mitre.org (Mail Delivery Subsystem)
>Subject: Returned mail: Service unavailable
>To: <marc@eddie.ee.vt.edu>

>   ----- Transcript of session follows -----
><<< 553 rainbow I refuse to talk to myself
>554 <marc@rainbow.mitre.org>... Service unavailable

>   ----- Unsent message follows -----
>*** Stuff deleted ***

I've been getting the same problem on systems that I've started running
DNS on.  Typically our systems run both YP/NIS and DNS, but on systems
without the YP/NIS (NFS) option and running just DNS, a few days after
setting up DNS, the mailer stops delivering mail to that system - same
exact error.  When I remove DNS (wipe out the /usr/etc/resolv.conf file)
and restart mail, everything's fine.  So, I don't have an answer, but I'd
like to see if someone knows what's going on.

(just for information, the systems running DNS are looking to a Sun as the
 "master" nameserver - I just create the /usr/etc/resolv.conf file and DNS
 works!)

Amy

========
Amy K. Swanson
SGI Systems Administrator
NCSA - National Center for Supercomputing Applications
University of Illinois @ Urbana-Champaign

amys@ncsa.uiuc.edu

brad@lsr-vax.UUCP (Brad J Zoltick) (05/12/91)

MAIL BUG INVOLVING SUNs and SGI machines:

We have a small network of Suns and Sgi machiness. On the
Suns(SUNOS4.1.1), we have mounted the /usr/spool/mail directory
on all the Suns to create a common spooling directory for mail.

Trying this same idea on the SGI(IRIX 3.3.1) machines fails. The
problem arises from the ownership of the files in /usr/spool/mail,
(linked to /usr/mail on the SGI machines) becoming owned by daemon
rather than the recipient.

Exporting the file system with root access does not solve the
problem.

Has anyone tried this with their network of Suns and Irises and
succeeded?  This must be a common approach on small networks
one would think, barring the security problems arising from
allowing NFS mounts.

Brad Zoltick
National Institutes of Health

E-mail: