[comp.sys.sgi] Video Creator vs. Video Framer

root@fuzzy (Operator) (01/23/91)

Can anyone elucidate the difference between these 2?

tph@tex.asd.sgi.com (Tim Heidmann) (01/29/91)

The Video Creator is primarily for getting realtime videofrom the screen.
Scan conversion hardware compresses the 1024 line screen to a 525 line
video image in realtime.  Since the board has its own frame buffer,
you can also download still images to do single-frame recording as
a background process (not requiring any screen real estate). The Video
Creator does not do video input of any kind, and it produces only
analog video output (RGB, Y/C, and Composite).

The Video Framer is intended for single-frame input and output.
The board can output or grab a single video frame in Composite, Y/C, RGB,
YUV, or D1.  The Digital video I/O makes the board particularly
well suited for our broadcast animation customers.  The composite output
is generated by a software encoding process, so advanced filtering
techniques similar to a Faroudja encoder can be used, eliminating many
of the artifacts present in a computer-generated signal.  The board
has no realtime capabilities, in or out.

Both products include VLAN master hardware, used for controlling videotape
decks for single-frame recording, frame accurate frame grab, or even
multiple machine editing.  This application requires an editing VCR and
additional VLAN hardware for each VCR.

The Video Creator lives on a 9U VME card or an external box with SCSI
interface for single frame downloading.  The Video Framer is a 6U VME card so
it can be used in the single VME slot of a Personal IRIS, or the slots
of a Power Series workstation using a 9U expansion card.

Hope this helps.

lipman@dtrc.dt.navy.mil (Lipman) (05/10/91)

What is the difference between Video Creator and Video Framer
for real-time and/or frame-by-frame recording?  We are currently
ordering the Video Creator but the Video Framer is cheaper.

Any info will be helpful, Thanks in advance, e-mail please,

Bob Lipman

wes@uh.msc.umn.edu (Wes Barris) (05/13/91)

In article <7646@oasys.dt.navy.mil>, lipman@dtrc.dt.navy.mil (Lipman) writes:
> What is the difference between Video Creator and Video Framer
> for real-time and/or frame-by-frame recording?  We are currently
> ordering the Video Creator but the Video Framer is cheaper.

Simply put:

Video Creator is a scan converter and animation controller.

Video Framer is a video output device and animation controller.

What does this mean?  Well, if you wish to record the entire SGI screen
onto video tape, you need to "scan convert" it down to video resolution.
In this case you can use Video Creator.  If you want to record image
files onto video tape and you have the ability to make these image
files at any (more specificely, video) resolution, you can use Video
Framer.

Video Framer can output NTSC, S-VHS, RGB, Betacam, D1, and D2.  Video
Framer produces what is considered "Broadcast Quality" output whereas
Video Creator "is only" able to produce "Industrial Quality" video.
This doesn't necessarily mean you will be able to tell the difference
visually though.

    o      _____           ||Wes Barris                    | | wes@msc.edu   |
  .][__n_n_|DD[  ====_____  |Minnesota Supercomputer Center| |(612) 626-8090 |
 >(________|__|_[_________]_|University of Minnesota_______|_|_FAX: 626-1596_|_
 _/oo OOOOO oo`  ooo   ooo  'o^o^o                    o^o^o` 'o^o         o^o`
Don't stop at one bug.