[comp.sys.sgi] UUCP with TCP

rpaul@crow.UUCP (Rodian Paul) (05/15/91)

Hope someone can help me with this... I was wondering what I need to do
to get UUCP running over the ethernet between machines. Do I have to add
some kind of hardware extras, or is it simply a case of setting up the
appropriate Devices/Dialers/Systems/Permissions entries?

If the latter is true, could someone please post an example of
how to configure the Devices/Dialers files?

Thanks a lot.
rpaul%crow@ccut.cc.u-tokyo.ac.jp	phone: +81 (3) 5706-8357
ccut.cc.u-tokyo.ac.jp!crow!rpaul	  FAX: +81 (3) 5706-8437

vjs@rhyolite.wpd.sgi.com (Vernon Schryver) (05/16/91)

In article <9105141825.AA06015@crow.omni.co>, rpaul@crow.UUCP (Rodian Paul) writes:

> Hope someone can help me with this... I was wondering what I need to do
> to get UUCP running over the ethernet between machines. Do I have to add
> some kind of hardware extras, or is it simply a case of setting up the
> appropriate Devices/Dialers/Systems/Permissions entries?

Soryy, the UUCP binaries SGI ships do not include the support for TCP
transport.  This dates from the initial SVR3.0 port, when the SVR3.0 HDB
UUCP source from AT&T was not unconfused about differences between sockets
and TLI and when we were very busy just making UUCP work at all.

There is an entry on a "to-do" list to get the socket version of the HDB
UUCP TCP code working.  However, almost no customers seem to care.  The
recent (in this time scale) popularity of NNTP has removed the biggest
reason for using UUCP/TCP/IP, so that SGI rarely gets complaints about not
having it.

If a lot of customers hollered, priorities would be changed.  I bet things
like MTU-discovery would do more people more good, so be be sure you konw
what you're asking for if you chose to holler.

Vernon Schryver,   vjs@sgi.com