[net.micro] AT Xenix info

doug@cornell.UUCP (11/02/84)

DISCLAIMER:  The following is my understanding of Xenix for the AT.
	     Some information might be wrong.

AT Xenix summary:

The AT Xenix is based on System III, but has lots of Berkeley stuff.
It is coresident with DOS 2.0 and 3.0, and the compiler and assembler
will produce code to run on either 2.0, 3.0, or Xenix.

It supports the following hardware:

	AT model 99 (the one with the hard disk)
	80287 chip
	AT Time-of-day and timer
	DASD
	20M hard drive, 1.2M floppy, and 360K floppy
	Monochrome display card
	Color display card in text mode only
	(I don't know about the new graphics card)
	IBM graphics printers in text mode only
	Serial/parallel adapter

It comes unbundled in three sections.  They are:

1) Operating system:						$395
	Comes on 4 1.2M floppys.  It includes at least:
	Borune and Visual Shells, VI, ED, SED, MORE,
	TERMCAP, CURSES

2) Software development system:					$455
	Comes on 3 1.2M floppys.  It includes at least:
	CC, assembler, run-time library, LINT, MAKE,
	SCCS, ADB, LEX, YACC, STRINGS, XSTR, CSH

3) Text formatting system:					$145
	Comes on 1 1.2M floppy.  It includes at least:
	MM, EQN, TBL, SPELL, VI, ED, DICTION, EXPLAIN, STYLE

								----
Total price:							$995
Total size:	8 1.2M floppys (9.6 Meg of stuff maximum)

mark@cbosgd.UUCP (Mark Horton) (11/04/84)

In article <2094@cornell.UUCP> doug@cornell.UUCP writes:
>AT Xenix summary:
>
>1) Operating system:						$395
>	Comes on 4 1.2M floppys.  It includes at least:
>	Borune and Visual Shells, VI, ED, SED, MORE,
>	TERMCAP, CURSES
		 ^^^^^^

>2) Software development system:					$455
>	Comes on 3 1.2M floppys.  It includes at least:
>	CC, assembler, run-time library, LINT, MAKE,
>	SCCS, ADB, LEX, YACC, STRINGS, XSTR, CSH
					     ^^^

I hope you are wrong - it's downright silly to put csh in with
the compiler and put curses in the basic system.  Curses is useless
without the compiler (but termcap is important.)  csh has nothing
to do with programming and belongs in the basic system with the
other shells.

I've checked my copy of Xenix for the XT and in fact csh comes with
the operating system, curses comes with the development system.  I
hope this remains true for the AT version.

	Mark

doug@cornell.UUCP (Douglas Campbell) (11/04/84)

In article <475@cbosgd.UUCP> mark@cbosgd.UUCP writes:
>In article <2094@cornell.UUCP> doug@cornell.UUCP writes:
>>AT Xenix summary:
>>
>>1) Operating system:						$395
>>	Comes on 4 1.2M floppys.  It includes at least:
>>	Borune and Visual Shells, VI, ED, SED, MORE,
>>	TERMCAP, CURSES
>		 ^^^^^^
>>
>>2) Software development system:					$455
>>	Comes on 3 1.2M floppys.  It includes at least:
>>	CC, assembler, run-time library, LINT, MAKE,
>>	SCCS, ADB, LEX, YACC, STRINGS, XSTR, CSH
>					     ^^^
>
>I hope you are wrong - it's downright silly to put csh in with
>the compiler and put curses in the basic system.  Curses is useless
>without the compiler (but termcap is important.)  csh has nothing
>to do with programming and belongs in the basic system with the
>other shells.
>
>I've checked my copy of Xenix for the XT and in fact csh comes with
>the operating system, curses comes with the development system.  I
>hope this remains true for the AT version.
>
>	Mark

I hope I'm wrong too - this information comes from an IBM Personal Computer
Announcements sheet.  This sheet is not for public distribution, hence they
may not have checked it over carefully.  The curses and csh appear in their
respective systems under the same headig: "Several popular Berkeley
extensions," so I suspect they just got mixed up.

					Keeping my fingers crossed,
					Doug