[comp.sys.sgi] tn3270, while we're at it

bobf@BLUMIRIS.CHEM.UMR.EDU (Bob Funchess) (05/21/91)

I use tn3270 to connect to our campus VM systems and it works just ducky.
HOWEVER... I also have an account at the Cornell National Supercomputing
Facility, and when I log on THERE, my cursor ends up in the "non-typable-area"
(at the end of the line above the input area) each time I press <enter>.
<tab> moves it down, so it's not a BIG problem, but whenever I forget, it
beeps at me and I have to start typing the command again.  Is there some
parameter I can adjust to make it work as well at the remote site as it does
locally?

--
Bob Funchess					bobf@blumiris.chem.umr.edu
Department of Chemistry				University of Missouri - Rolla

merritt@climate.gsfc.nasa.gov (John H. Merritt) (05/21/91)

In article <9105210027.AA16700@blumiris.chem.umr.edu> bobf@BLUMIRIS.CHEM.UMR.EDU (Bob Funchess) writes:
>I use tn3270 to connect to our campus VM systems and it works just ducky.
>HOWEVER... I also have an account at the Cornell National Supercomputing
>Facility, and when I log on THERE, my cursor ends up in the "non-typable-area"
It has nothing to do whether or not you are connecting to the VM system
locally or remotely (what's the diff? :-)).  The *old* version of
tn3270 you have does not work properly for VM/XA.  The latest version
of tn3270 is 4.1.1 and works properly for VM/XA, however I know of
no port to SGI available.  I started to try it (the port) and ran into more
problems the further and further I went along.  For the older version,
I just kacked and hacked without caring too much about what I was doing
and it suddenly worked!  But, this one requires more effort.  When
I find the time ...
              John H. Merritt --> merritt@climate.gsfc.nasa.gov
              Applied Research Corporation at NASA/GSFC
              "I am generally intolerant of ignorance,
               but I have made an exception in your case."