[comp.sys.sgi] modem port problems

silvert@cs.dal.ca (Bill Silvert) (05/21/91)

I have a modem on the serial port of my PI and find that sometimes users
hang up without logging off.  Is there a way to get the PI to kill the
login process when the line is disconnected?

This has only happened twice, so I don't know whether it is related, but
on both occasions I found the console displaying the message:
core file access error
and on one occasion this was followed by about 100 lines of:
bufcall: could not allocate stream event
Neither message tells me very much!

This is on a 4D/25 running 3.3.1.
--
William Silvert, Habitat Ecology Division, Bedford Inst. of Oceanography
P. O. Box 1006, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CANADA B2Y 4A2.  Tel. (902)426-1577

vjs@rhyolite.wpd.sgi.com (Vernon Schryver) (05/22/91)

In article <1991May21.154839.1563@cs.dal.ca>, silvert@cs.dal.ca (Bill Silvert) writes:
> I have a modem on the serial port of my PI and find that sometimes users
> hang up without logging off.  Is there a way to get the PI to kill the
> login process when the line is disconnected?

Yes.  Use a 5 or 7-wire cable to connect DCD, put the getty on /dev/ttym*
or /dev/ttyf*, and use a modem that can be and is configured to drop DCD
when there is no carrier.

Vernon Schryver,   vjs@sgi.com