[net.micro] Another one bytes the dust...

david@bragvax.UUCP (David DiGiacomo) (10/23/84)

In article <13223@sri-arpa.UUCP> William Chops Westfield writes:

>"Microcomputing" magazine (formerly "KiloBaud") has anounced in
>their november, 1984 issue that it will be the last...
>
>After 95 issues, the second oldest computer magazine is going
>out of business...  What is left for people who like to do
>hardware hacking?

This is a non-sequitur -- "Microcomputing" hasn't published any
significant hardware articles since before the name change.

P.S. Byte still publishes one hardware article a month (of course
they're only flogging the latest Micromint kit).

--
David DiGiacomo, BRAG Systems Inc., San Mateo CA  (415) 342-3963
(...decvax!ucbvax!hplabs!bragvax!david)

mpackard@uok.UUCP (11/05/84)

Good point, There has not been a descent hardware magazine since BYTE
went over a 100 pages, (1976).  I keep up to date with several defense
magazines (or war magazines if you like).  But still I miss the old
days when circuits were printed even if they were sloppy.  Most of Green's
pubs were written by readers and I always enjoyed 73 because you can learn
by examining other peoples slop.  They once carried a spectrum analyser
issue (oh about 4 years ago I guess) and I got a kick because the guys
pictures had so much garbage signals hat you could barely discern what he
was pointing out.  Most recent stuff still has floating inputs that would
work I guess maybe 25% of the time with luck. But I enjoy electronics and
any the circuits that people design.  It is relaxing I think.