[comp.sys.sgi] stty/sgtty in IRIX, lpd, and transcript

srp@babar.mmwb.ucsf.edu (Scott R. Presnell) (05/28/91)

eap@bu-it.bu.edu (Eric A. Pearce) writes:
>I managed to get Transcript 2.1 compiled under IRIX 3.x without much
>trouble,  I found it preferable to one SGI sells since it's the 'BSD'
>instead of the 'SYSV' version.

There was one substantial set of changes that I made to the transcript 2.1
software - the BSD version of pscomm expects to use the BSD signal
semantics where a system call interrupted by a signal will be restarted.
This is currently not available under IRIX, so I blocked signals around
these critical regions.  That stopped the core dumps from pscomm.

>We had a locally hacked version of the Tahoe lpd, but only for printing
>remotely.   It looks like IRIX 4.0 has a Berkeley version.   We still
>don't have any directly connected postscript printers.

IRIX 3.3 seems to have /usr/etc/lpd (it's on the dist tapes) - but I
haven't tried it for directly connected printers.

I also have patches to lpd to use termio stuff (I think I got them from BU
:-).  But, we run a modified version of lpd that handles printing via
terminal servers - one of our iri operates in this manner.  This particular
setup is sort of between printing to a directly connected port and sending
to another machine - it was different enough to expose problems in SIGCHLD
handling, wait() timing, and a few random BSDisms in lpd, and the pscomm
problems.  If anyone can use these changes, let me know.

	- Scott
--
Scott Presnell				        +1 (415) 476-9890
Pharm. Chem., S-926				Internet: srp@cgl.ucsf.edu

blbates@AERO36.LARC.NASA.GOV (Brent Bates ViGYAN AAD/TAB) (05/29/91)

  We use the SGI supplied lpr/lpd and haven't had any problems with it.  We
have printers connected to parallel ports on two SGI machines.  We also have
printers on some Sun's and we can send files to any of the printers from any
of the machines.

  Brent L. Bates				Phone:(804) 864-2854
  NASA-Langley Research Center			  FAX:(804) 864-6792
  M.S. 361
  Hampton, Virginia  23665-5225
  E-mail: blbates@aero36.larc.nasa.gov or blbates@aero8.larc.nasa.gov