[comp.sys.sgi] IRIX 4.00 ?

benedict@chaos.utexas.edu (Thomas Benedict) (05/30/91)

Say, I've been seeing several postings refering to IRIX 4.00 coming
out someday.  Sounds good.  But specifically I was wondering if any of
the following were intended to be stuck into 4.00:

IRIX seems to have a problem keeping names straight, especially with
regards to talk.  At this point incorrect names seem to be more the
norm than the exception.  For instance, if I try to talk to someone
else on the system they may see it as a request for a talk from
someone other than me.  On one occasion someone got a request to talk
from himself.

Another biggie on my list is the tape device drivers.  I posted
earlier about lost data because the nrtapens device driver skipped to
end of tape and then rewound, causing a big loss of data.  This is not
only annoying, it's downright dangerous.

The last entry on my 4.00 wish list is X11R4.  We've got X terminals
that will run R4, and even got a new update today.  It hurts to be
running these things at R3, especially when one of the neat features
of R4 is that when an X terminal gets turned off it isn't the pain
that it is under R3 to get it back up and running.

Other than that, does anyone at SGI know when 4.00 will be released?
Or if it's still unannounceable, just a rough guess at what year it
will be out? :)

Tom Benedict
benedict@chaos.utexas.edu
Center for Nonlinear Dynamics

russell@ccu1.aukuni.ac.nz (Russell J Fulton;ccc032u) (05/31/91)

benedict@chaos.utexas.edu (Thomas Benedict) writes:

>Say, I've been seeing several postings refering to IRIX 4.00 coming
>out someday.  Sounds good.  But specifically I was wondering if any of
>the following were intended to be stuck into 4.00:

>IRIX seems to have a problem keeping names straight, especially with
>regards to talk.  At this point incorrect names seem to be more the
>norm than the exception.  For instance, if I try to talk to someone
>else on the system they may see it as a request for a talk from
>someone other than me.  On one occasion someone got a request to talk
>from himself.

This is a problem which is caused by processes not locking the utmp and wtmp
files when they write to it. It causes the library routine cuserid to be
unreliable on machines with lots of users. (The more users the more likely
utmp and wtmp will get corrupt because of two processes writing to them
at the same time.)

This problem is not confined to Irix, its inherent in AT&T sysV. Some other
vendors have fixed it and we are putting the heat on to get SGI to fix it
as well. Maybe it will be fixed as result of the merge of SYSV and BSD?

This bug also screws up connect time logging as done by the standard
accounting software and sometimes even causes the accounting run to
fail completely.

Another particularly nasty effect is that when creating new users you use
the option of letting the user set the password on first logon then sometimes
the wrong password gets changed!

Cheers, Russell.
--
Russell Fulton, Computer Center, University of Auckland, New Zealand.
<rj_fulton@aukuni.ac.nz>

olson@anchor.esd.sgi.com (Dave Olson) (06/01/91)

In <BENEDICT.91May30112819@chaos.utexas.edu> benedict@chaos.utexas.edu (Thomas Benedict) writes:

| regards to talk.  At this point incorrect names seem to be more the
| norm than the exception.  For instance, if I try to talk to someone
| else on the system they may see it as a request for a talk from
| someone other than me.  On one occasion someone got a request to talk
| from himself.

As I recall (it isn't my area of expertise) there were some bugs with
some programs not updating the /etc/*tmp files correctly, so that
w and other programs (like talk) that read them sometimes got bogus
info.  I'm pretty sure this is fixed.

| Another biggie on my list is the tape device drivers.  I posted
| earlier about lost data because the nrtapens device driver skipped to
| end of tape and then rewound, causing a big loss of data.  This is not
| only annoying, it's downright dangerous.

This only affected Exabyte, and only in a few cases.  To the very best
of my knowledge, this is now completely fixed.  There were a number
of changes to this driver to support some new devices and make it
more configurable, in addition to the exabyte fixes.  We also made
some changes to reduce the amount of driver initiated positioning;
look at 'man tps' when you get 4.0 for details.

| The last entry on my 4.00 wish list is X11R4.  We've got X terminals
| that will run R4, and even got a new update today.  It hurts to be
| running these things at R3, especially when one of the neat features
| of R4 is that when an X terminal gets turned off it isn't the pain
| that it is under R3 to get it back up and running.

Yes, X11R4 is part of 4.0

| Other than that, does anyone at SGI know when 4.00 will be released?
| Or if it's still unannounceable, just a rough guess at what year it
| will be out? :)

Sometime in 91, at least so we hope :)
--

	Dave Olson