[comp.sys.sgi] psview: how much it offers and why we need TeX viewer??

xiaoy@bullet.ecf (XIAO Yan) (05/28/91)

I am puzzled by what psview can do.  Many applications generate PostScript
files. But how much psview offers to view these files?
(for that matter, psh).

In the case of LaTex, why we need special viewer for its dvi output even
though we have dvi2ps to output a PS file?  What is the limit for psview?

Acknowledgable answers wanted.

Xiao
<xiaoy@ecf.toronto.edu>

blbates@AERO36.LARC.NASA.GOV (Brent Bates ViGYAN AAD/TAB) (05/28/91)

  Psview doesn't work for most things.  However, IRIX 4.0 is SUPPOSE to
have a working psview, so maybe then we can preview PostScript files.
Until then if you want to preview TeX/LaTeX files you will have to get
the special previewer from the info-iris archives.

  Brent L. Bates				Phone:(804) 864-2854
  NASA-Langley Research Center			  FAX:(804) 864-6792
  M.S. 361
  Hampton, Virginia  23665-5225
  E-mail: blbates@aero36.larc.nasa.gov or blbates@aero8.larc.nasa.gov

bernie@umbc3.umbc.edu (Bernard J. Duffy) (06/04/91)

In article <9105281659.AA08969@aero36.larc.nasa.gov> blbates@AERO36.LARC.NASA.GOV (Brent Bates ViGYAN AAD/TAB) writes:

>  Psview doesn't work for most things.  However, IRIX 4.0 is SUPPOSE to
>have a working psview, so maybe then we can preview PostScript files.
>Until then if you want to preview TeX/LaTeX files you will have to get
>the special previewer from the info-iris archives.

     GNU's GhostScript (gs) works on the SGIs.  I find it to be an
excellent previewer.  It only works under X-windows and it seems to even
handle color ps files/scripts.

post news fodder.   Enjoy,  Bernie  (bernie@pinhead.acs.umbc.edu)

--
Bernie Duffy   Systems Programmer II | Bitnet    :  BERNIE@UMBC2