[comp.sys.sgi] named as security violator?

mschroed@ux.acs.umn.edu (Michael Schroeder) (06/04/91)

The network of IRIS 4Ds I administer is not connected to the Internet but we
want to use gethostbyname.  I have read the BIND Name Server section of the
manual and all associated reference manual pages.  All the configuration
files I have constructed "look" like those in the manual.  But when I do
nslookup from a client it tells me
	*** machine-b can't find machine-a: No response from server
where machine-b is the client and machine-a is the server or any other machine.
Yes the client has a resolv.conf in /usr/etc/named.d.

named really is running on the server.

We are running yp.  I have ypserv running with the -i option.

Another symptom is that anyone logging in on the console of machine-a (the
one running named) gets a pop-up button or banner that says
	Network Security Violation
	address of machine-a

The security violation goes away as soon as I do /etc/chkconfig named off and
reboot.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks
mike

ianh@resmel.bhp.com.au (Ian Hoyle) (06/04/91)

mschroed@ux.acs.umn.edu (Michael Schroeder) writes:

>Another symptom is that anyone logging in on the console of machine-a (the
>one running named) gets a pop-up button or banner that says
>	Network Security Violation
>	address of machine-a

>The security violation goes away as soon as I do /etc/chkconfig named off and
>reboot.

This indicates that the machines's in-addr.arpa name has not been found in
the named.rev file ie. it can't match the name it thinks it is to that
returned when the window server does an initial gethostbyaddr call when it
starts up.

	ian
--
                Ian Hoyle
     /\/\       Image Processing & Data Analysis Group