[comp.sys.sgi] Shared Memory Problems

sweetmr@SCT60A.SUNYCT.EDU (michael sweet) (06/04/91)

We are developing an application which uses large amounts of shared memory
(about 2 Mb in the current configuration) to track different types of datafiles.
During integration with other pieces of the project on another machine, we
have run into an error/bug that gives the error:

 "Could not find window slot in shared memory"

This is from the NeWS server, and appears on the console whenever the integrator
tries to open a new window.  She has/is placing a call to the SGI hotline, but
I figured you people here might be of more help...  The specifics of the
shared-memory segment we're using and the the machine are:

 Model:    4D/20, 16Mb physical memory, 100Mb swap
           IRIX 3.3.1

 Shared Memory Segment ~2Mb, using a key value of 6809, and mapped to address
 0x02000000.

I believe she is running Workspace as well when this happens.  Any guesses?

 -Mike Sweet

"The only        TASC                      (315) 724-1100 (voice)
 truth is that   555 French Road           (315) 724-2031 (fax)
 there are no    New Hartford, NY  13413   Internet: sweetmr@sct60a.sunyct.edu
 truths, only beliefs."                    Delphi:   DODGECOLT

msc@ramoth.esd.sgi.com (Mark Callow) (06/05/91)

In article <9106041435.AA00794@sct60a.sunyct.edu>, sweetmr@SCT60A.SUNYCT.EDU (michael sweet) writes:

|> We are developing an application which uses large amounts of shared memory
|> (about 2 Mb in the current configuration) to track different types of datafiles.
|> During integration with other pieces of the project on another machine, we
|> have run into an error/bug that gives the error:
|>
|>  "Could not find window slot in shared memory"

Something in your shared memory code is trashing the memory segment
shared between the GL portion of your program and the NeWS server.

--
From the TARDIS of Mark Callow
msc@ramoth.sgi.com, ...{ames,decwrl}!sgi!msc

sweetmr@SCT60A.SUNYCT.EDU (michael sweet) (06/05/91)

>In article <9106041435.AA00794@sct60a.sunyct.edu>, sweetmr@SCT60A.SUNYCT.EDU (michael sweet) writes:
|>
|> We are developing an application which uses large amounts of shared memory
|> (about 2 Mb in the current configuration) to track different types of datafiles.
|> During integration with other pieces of the project on another machine, we
|> have run into an error/bug that gives the error:
|>
|>  "Could not find window slot in shared memory"

Mark says:

>Something in your shared memory code is trashing the memory segment
>shared between the GL portion of your program and the NeWS server.

Well, most of the programs using our system *don't* use the GL library.
They generate the datafiles which are later displayed using GL calls.
Therefore, that cannot be the cause...  Perhaps I should clarify; the
person doing the testing was opening a wsh window (via her 'tools'
toolchest) and the error message appeared in the console window.

Any other ideas?

 -Mike

jwag@moose.asd.sgi.com (Chris Wagner) (06/05/91)

--
There were some virtual memory problems in 3.3.1 for large programs
using lots of segments (like linking with a bunch of shared libraries)

----
Chris Wagner (jwag@sgi.com)

cnc@UNIX.CIS.PITT.EDU (Chunging Cheng) (06/06/91)

I have a PI ( 4D-20 ) running 3.3.2.  When I did not log off for two continuous
days, I had the similar problem.  I tried logging out and never had a problem
so far.  By the way, it gave me the error when I was trying to open a new shell.
Satya Prakash Reddy Atmakuri ( cnc@unix.cis.pitt.edu )