[comp.sys.sgi] Color Printers for SGI's

anandk@crysiris.rice.edu (anand kolatkar) (05/16/91)

	I am interested in opinions and advice on using a color printer
	off of an IRIS.  Either color Postscript or screen capture types
	of printers would be OK.

	Specifically, I would like info and opinions on the quality of
	color printers when printing shaded polygons (spheres, etc.).

	Info on price and ease of connecting to SGI's would also be
	appreciated!!

	Thanks in advance for any info.  Please email:

					anandk@keckiris.rice.edu

	Anand Kolatkar
	Rice University
	Dept. Biochemistry

baskett@forest.asd.sgi.com (Forest Baskett) (05/16/91)

Making Postscript do shaded polygons requires standing on your head.
There is no support in the Postscript language for shaded polygons.

Forest Baskett
Silicon Graphics

blbates@AERO36.LARC.NASA.GOV (Brent Bates ViGYAN AAD/TAB) (05/16/91)

   We have a Tektronics 4693D, it cost us about $10k about 2 years ago,
and we are very pleased with it.  We bought parallel boards for all our
SGI's and they all independently connect to the printer.
   The best color hardcopy unit I have seen is a Kodak one, which cost
~$20-25k.  I don't have the model number handy.

  Brent L. Bates				Phone:(804) 864-2854
  NASA-Langley Research Center			  FAX:(804) 864-6792
  M.S. 361
  Hampton, Virginia  23665-5225
  E-mail: blbates@aero36.larc.nasa.gov or blbates@aero8.larc.nasa.gov

blbates@AERO36.LARC.NASA.GOV (Brent Bates ViGYAN AAD/TAB) (05/16/91)

  Neither of the machines I mentioned are PostScript machines.
The Tektronics takes bitmapped images as either color mapped or RGB values.
The printer has its own intenal way of doing the dithering and has several
options for gamma correction.  As I said we are very pleased with the results.
We rarely use it for lines drawings, most are shaded images.  All images are
a screen type dump, so they are bitmapped images.
  I don't know what the internal format of the Kodak unit is, but, the images
I saw looked so good you would think they were photos.

  Brent L. Bates				Phone:(804) 864-2854
  NASA-Langley Research Center			  FAX:(804) 864-6792
  M.S. 361
  Hampton, Virginia  23665-5225
  E-mail: blbates@aero36.larc.nasa.gov or blbates@aero8.larc.nasa.gov

meyer@ifi.unizh.ch (Urs Meyer) (05/22/91)

I wonder if anybody got one of these fancy Color Laser Copiers CLC500 from
Canon and managed it to connect it to an Iris using the SCSI interface?
Are there any drivers available, either public domain or commercial?
Any help will be appreciated.

Urs

Urs Meyer ---------- meyer@ifi.unizh.ch, {uunet,...}!mcsun!cernvax!unizh!meyer
University of Zurich, Dept of Computer Science, Multimedia Lab, CH-8057 Zurich

olson@anchor.esd.sgi.com (Dave Olson) (05/23/91)

In <1991May22.115034.3987@ifi.unizh.ch> meyer@ifi.unizh.ch (Urs Meyer) writes:

| I wonder if anybody got one of these fancy Color Laser Copiers CLC500 from
| Canon and managed it to connect it to an Iris using the SCSI interface?
| Are there any drivers available, either public domain or commercial?
| Any help will be appreciated.

I haven't heard anything about it even having a scsi interface,
but we have one on loan with the gpib interface.  It has
VERY impressive quality (of course, it is a tad bit expensive).

The simple minded driver we have uses very little gpib stuff,
so assuming the scsi interface is (conceptually) at all similar
to the gpib, it shouldn't be too much work to write a driver
using the ds generic scsi driver.
--

	Dave Olson

davidh8@pogo.WV.TEK.COM (David Haight) (05/23/91)

In article <1991May22.115034.3987@ifi.unizh.ch> meyer@ifi.unizh.ch writes:
>I wonder if anybody got one of these fancy Color Laser Copiers CLC500 from
>Canon and managed it to connect it to an Iris using the SCSI interface?
>Are there any drivers available, either public domain or commercial?
>Any help will be appreciated.
>
>Urs
>

>Urs Meyer ---------- meyer@ifi.unizh.ch, {uunet,...}!mcsun!cernvax!unizh!meyer
>University of Zurich, Dept of Computer Science, Multimedia Lab, CH-8057 Zurich

We (Tektronix) have two color printers that are compatible with the IRIS.
Interface is serial parallel or ethernet and there are drivers available.
The printers are 300dpi thermal wax, not laser.  The Phaser II PX is a
postscript printer and the Phaser II DX is a raster printer.  The DX
has a SCSI interface but no  driver has been written for the IRIS.  If
you would like more info, email me.

David Haight            | davidh8@pogo.wv.tek.com          | INTERNET
Tektronix, GPID Div.    | {backbone}!tektronix!pogo!davidh8| UUCP
PO Box 1000, M/S 63-630 | (USA) (503) 685-3151             | VOICE
Wilsonville, OR 97070   | (USA) (503) 685-3063             | FAX

laukee@canon.co.uk (David Lau-Kee) (05/23/91)

olson@anchor.esd.sgi.com (Dave Olson) writes:

>In <1991May22.115034.3987@ifi.unizh.ch> meyer@ifi.unizh.ch (Urs Meyer) writes:

>| I wonder if anybody got one of these fancy Color Laser Copiers CLC500 from
>| Canon and managed it to connect it to an Iris using the SCSI interface?
>| Are there any drivers available, either public domain or commercial?
>| Any help will be appreciated.
>|

>I haven't heard anything about it even having a scsi interface,
>but we have one on loan with the gpib interface.  It has
>VERY impressive quality (of course, it is a tad bit expensive).

>The simple minded driver we have uses very little gpib stuff,
>so assuming the scsi interface is (conceptually) at all similar
>to the gpib, it shouldn't be too much work to write a driver
>using the ds generic scsi driver.

You can get it with a SCSI interface.  There is a SCSI driver around for the
Sun 4, but from what I've seen it wouldn't be *too* nasty to write one for
an Iris.  What you might want to do is to contact your local CLC marketing
people and tell them you will buy one with the SCSI if they get a driver
written... the marketing-techsupport feedback at Canon is pretty efficient.

BTW: you can also get the CLC with something called the PS-IPU (the
PostScript Image Processing Unit), which will take Level 2 (I believe)
PostScript and image that (perhaps not that useful on a SGI... and in any
case, for very, very, very good quality as opposed to very, very good
quality, I feel you'd best go for the SCSI / GPIB connexion and throw
image data at it).

David

-------------
David Lau-Kee, Canon Research Centre Europe,
17/20 Frederick Sanger Rd, Surrey Research Park, Guildford, Surrey, GU25YD, UK.
laukee@canon.co.uk, laukee@canon.uucp, ..!mcsun!ukc!uos-ee!canon!laukee
Tel: +44 (0) 483 574325 Fax: +44 (0) 483 574360

farestam@ORION.CERFACS.FR (Stefan Farestam) (05/24/91)

>Making Postscript do shaded polygons requires standing on your head.
>There is no support in the Postscript language for shaded polygons.
>
>Forest Baskett
>Silicon Graphics

   Well, it's not totally impossible. The following piece of Postscript
   code will do gouraud shaded triangles and squares (using gshadetri
   and gshaderect).

      No guarantees etc...

      /Stefan Farestam

 .             Stefan Farestam    <farestam@cerfacs.fr>              .
.   __ __  __ _  _ _                                                  .
.  /  |_ )|_ /_\/ (          European Centre for Research and         .
 . \_ |__\| /   \__)    Advanced Training in Scientific Computation  .

/xndef {2 mul -2  2 {-1 roll def} for} def

/mxdef % (a0 | a1 | ... | an | /v | n)
   {
   /n1 exch def
   /n2 exch def
   1 1 n2
      {dup 1 sub n2 sub n1 mul neg
      add n1 neg roll n1 array astore} for
   n2 array astore def
   } def

/xs   % returns the current x scaling factor
   {
   gsave initmatrix 1 1 dtransform pop grestore
   1 1 dtransform pop  exch div
   } def

/lpmm 1.0 def  %lines per mm

/gshadetri
   {
   gsave
   /m 3 3 mxdef

   m aload pop
   2 copy 2 get   exch  2 get  gt {exch} if   3  1 roll
   2 copy 2 get   exch  2 get  gt {exch} if   3 -1 roll
   2 copy 2 get   exch  2 get  gt {exch} if

   aload pop /i0 /y0 /x0 3 xndef
   aload pop /i2 /y2 /x2 3 xndef
   aload pop /i1 /y1 /x1 3 xndef

   /d1 x0 x1 sub dup mul y0 y1 sub dup mul add sqrt  def
   /d2 x0 x2 sub dup mul y0 y2 sub dup mul add sqrt  def

   /d   d1 d2 gt {d1} {d2} ifelse def

   i2 i0 eq
      {
      /q 99999999999999 def
      /x3 x2 x0 sub x1 add def
      /y3 y2 y0 sub y1 add def
      }
      {
      /q    i1 i0 sub  i2 i0 sub div    def
      /x3   x2 x0 sub q mul  x0 add def
      /y3   y2 y0 sub q mul  y0 add def
      } ifelse

   /vox  x3 x1 sub   def
   /voy  y3 y1 sub   def

   /volen  vox vox mul voy voy mul add sqrt   def

   volen 0 ne {
   /vox    vox volen div  def
   /voy    voy volen div  def} if

   /cmax   x3 x0 sub voy mul y3 y0 sub vox mul  sub def

   /steps xs 25.4 72 div mul cmax mul lpmm mul  abs def

   steps 0 eq {/steps 1 def} if
   /width cmax steps div def

   width abs 2.05 mul setlinewidth
   /ex vox d mul 2 mul def  /dx voy width mul     def
   /ey voy d mul 2 mul def  /dy vox width mul neg def

   x0 ex 2 div sub  y0 ey 2 div sub

   i0 i1 eq  { i0 setgray clippath fill stroke }
      {
      i0    i1 i0 sub steps div   i1
         {
         setgray
         2 copy moveto ex ey rlineto stroke
         dy add exch dx add exch
         } for
      } ifelse pop pop
   grestore
   } def

/gshaderect
   {
   9 copy      gshadetri
   12 6 roll   gshadetri
   pop pop pop
   } def

% Example usage

gsave clip

%  x    y   intensity
%  -    -   ---------

0.067 0.414   0.136
0.021 0.429   0.069
0.235 0.456   0.063
0.280 0.443   0.128
gshaderect grestore

andrew@foetus (Andrew Danne) (06/06/91)

In article <1991May22.115034.3987@ifi.unizh.ch> meyer@ifi.unizh.ch writes:
>I wonder if anybody got one of these fancy Color Laser Copiers CLC500 from
>Canon and managed it to connect it to an Iris using the SCSI interface?
>Are there any drivers available, either public domain or commercial?
>Any help will be appreciated.
>
>Urs
>

>Urs Meyer ---------- meyer@ifi.unizh.ch, {uunet,...}!mcsun!cernvax!unizh!meyer
>University of Zurich, Dept of Computer Science, Multimedia Lab, CH-8057 Zurich

In answer to this, a company in Melbourne, Australia has a really good product
 that does this, built up as a commerical package that they programmed
 themselves. The company name is DOT PER INCH and the product is used in the
 pre and post-press market place.
 Contact :- John Mitchel in the Silicon Graphics Melbourne Office on
 (61) (3) 8828211 and he can give you the number for them. Cannon Australia
 also knows this company very well. The software is designed to run on
 all levels of the SGI product range.

 Mail me if you need further information.