[comp.sys.sgi] Tek pahser PX

davis@MASIG4.OCEAN.FSU.EDU (Alan Davis) (06/02/91)

  I am trying to use a Tektronix Phaser PX on a PI 4D/35 3.3.2 without much
luck.  I have been using both tocolps and tops to make color PostScript which
I am sending to the printer.  The quality of the print is extremely poor, the
image comes out with a very mottled appearence, like something happened
during the dithering, ie the whole image is speckled with white dots.  I assume
you must be able to make normal prints on this printer and would like to hear
from someone who has done this already.  All my other experience is with the
4693D which makes very good prints.  Thanks in advance.
            Alan Davis            | INTERNET  davis@masig1.ocean.fsu.edu
       MS B-174, Love 008A        | SPAN      fsu1::davis
  Mesoscale Air-Sea Inter. Group  | BITNET    davis%masig1.ocean.fsu.edu@fsuavm
    Florida State University      | Phone     904-644-3798
   Tallahassee, FL 32306-3041     | FAX       904-644-8579

bernie@umbc3.umbc.edu (Bernard J. Duffy) (06/04/91)

In article <9106012100.AA28850@masig4.ocean.fsu.edu> davis@MASIG4.OCEAN.FSU.EDU (Alan Davis) writes:

>  I am trying to use a Tektronix Phaser PX on a PI 4D/35 3.3.2 without much
>luck.  I have been using both tocolps and tops to make color PostScript which
>I am sending to the printer.  The quality of the print is extremely poor, the
>image comes out with a very mottled appearence, like something happened
>during the dithering, ie the whole image is speckled with white dots.  I assume

      I don't have a color postscript printer, but I do have the GNU gs
previewer.  The output from the tocolps program (obtained from sgi.com)
didn't render the .rgb plot in full color.  The resultant .ps file only
had about 7 colors (includes black and white) and the original .rgb had
a rainbow of at least 256 colors.  It turned a plot that had several
steps worth of a contour-like coloring into 5 steps.
      I then tried the topost (I think this was on ftp.brl.mil) and that
didn't work at all (no real data ended up in the .ps file).
      I then tried the ppm utilities (giftoppm ... ppmtops) and got the
"dithered" like output that Alan got.
      I also checked out the sdsc.edu imtools' imconv and found it didn't
have a picture to color postscript conversion.  I did make one run of the
utility from .rgb to .ps (imconv junk.rgb junk.ps) and it didn't do any
dithering or RGB==>Grayscale conversions.

       SO.... does anybody know of another "pix" to color postscript
converters out there.  The ones I've mentioned above use colorimage PS
operator and I'm beginning to think it doesn't do a good job.  I'm surprised
to see on one-to-one converters for color pictures like .ppm or .gif !

>you must be able to make normal prints on this printer and would like to hear
>from someone who has done this already.  All my other experience is with the
>4693D which makes very good prints.  Thanks in advance.
                                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^  me too...

--
Bernie Duffy   Systems Programmer II | Bitnet    :  BERNIE@UMBC2
Academic Computing Services - L005e  | Internet  :  BERNIE@UMBC2.UMBC.EDU

blythe@sgi.com (David R. Blythe) (06/05/91)

>In article <9106012100.AA28850@masig4.ocean.fsu.edu> davis@MASIG4.OCEAN.FSU.EDU (Alan Davis) writes:
>
>  I am trying to use a Tektronix Phaser PX on a PI 4D/35 3.3.2 without much
>luck.  I have been using both tocolps and tops to make color PostScript which
>I am sending to the printer.  The quality of the print is extremely poor, the
>image comes out with a very mottled appearence, like something happened
>during the dithering, ie the whole image is speckled with white dots.  I assume

tocolps should be adequate for the job since it does nothing more than
copy the bits to the file for imaging by the printer.  It does, however,
set the screendensity and screenangle for each of the magenta, cyan, yellow
and black primaries.  These are undoubtably causing your problems.  That
and possibly your expectations may be too high.  You might try deleting
the manipulations of the angles and densities from the PostScript file
since these are often better left as the manufacturers defaults unless
you know what you are doing.  Otherwise, the printer documentation may
give you some clue to alternate values to try.  I couldn't begin to guess
myself :-(.

	david blythe
	blythe@sgi.com

davidh8@pogo.WV.TEK.COM (David Haight) (06/05/91)

In article <1991Jun4.210057.29808@odin.corp.sgi.com> blythe@sgi.com (David R. Blythe) writes:
>>In article <9106012100.AA28850@masig4.ocean.fsu.edu> davis@MASIG4.OCEAN.FSU.EDU (Alan Davis) writes:
>>
>>  I am trying to use a Tektronix Phaser PX on a PI 4D/35 3.3.2 without much
>>luck.  I have been using both tocolps and tops to make color PostScript which
>>I am sending to the printer.  The quality of the print is extremely poor, the
>>image comes out with a very mottled appearence, like something happened
>>during the dithering, ie the whole image is speckled with white dots.  I assume
>>

>tocolps should be adequate for the job since it does nothing more than
>copy the bits to the file for imaging by the printer.  It does, however,
>set the screendensity and screenangle for each of the magenta, cyan, yellow
>and black primaries.  These are undoubtably causing your problems.  That
>and possibly your expectations may be too high.  You might try deleting
>the manipulations of the angles and densities from the PostScript file
>since these are often better left as the manufacturers defaults unless
>you know what you are doing.  Otherwise, the printer documentation may
>give you some clue to alternate values to try.  I couldn't begin to guess
>myself :-(.
>
>	david blythe
>	blythe@sgi.com

The problem is "blithering" or double dithering.  Try downloading this first.

%!
%% Patch to the setscreen operator to avoid unwanted behaviour and to
%% increase speed, but at the expense of disabling patterning.  Some
%% applications set their own screens, but these generally look worse than
%% the built-in ones in the Tektronix Phaser printers, so we want to use
%% the internal ones.
%%
%% The patch simply executes the spot function procedure four times, once
%% at each corner of the halftone cell, and throws the results of those
%% executions away.  Then all three arguments to setscreen are discarded.
%%
%% The proc would not have to be executed at all if it was not for those
%% applications that set variables inside of the proc and refer to them
%% outside of the proc (for determining the threshold gray level of a
%% pattern).  GEM applications and Broderbund TypeStyler do this.  Normal
%% setscreen operation could execute this proc thousands of times.
%%
%% This patch will only apply itself once.  The patch can be circumvented
%% by directly referencing the setscreen definition in systemdict, as in
%% "systemdict /setscreen get exec"

serverdict begin
0 exitserver
/setscreen load type /operatortype eq    % patch only if not patched already
{
  /setscreen {
         .99999  .99999 2 index exec pop % execute proc, discard result
         .99999 -.99999 2 index exec pop
        -.99999  .99999 2 index exec pop
        -.99999 -.99999 2 index exec pop
        pop pop pop                      % discard setscreen arguments
  } bind def
  (Setscreen patch downloaded) = flush
} if
%%EOF

art@lsr-vax.UUCP (Art Hays - PSTAFF) (06/07/91)

	I would appreciate more info about PostScript Phasers vs. rgb Phasers
as well.  Tektronix sells two versions of the Phaser II- one with PostScript
and one that handles SGI or Sun raster files directly.  You cant get both
in the same printer.  Is it true that the PostScript version cannot
match the quality of the raster version?  What disturbs me is that one
gets different results with the PostScript printer depending on which
rgb -> PostScript converter is used.

Art Hays, Nat. Eye Institute,			uunet!lsr-vax!art
Nat. Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD		(301) 496-7143