[comp.sys.sgi] Odd mail and network behavior under 3.3

shenkin@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Peter S. Shenkin) (06/05/91)

I just upgraded from IRIX 3.2 to 3.3, and am having trouble receiving (but not
sending) Internet mail.  Mail sent to "shenkin@avogadro.barnard.columbia.edu"
from other machines within Columbia arrives OK;  mail sent to
"shenkin@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu" from the outside gets sent to me at avogadro
by means of a .forward file in my home directory on cunixf.  Similarly, if
I login to cunixf and send mail to "shenkin@avogadro" it arrives;  but if
someone at a remote site sends mail to both addresses, the only one I get is
the mail sent to cunixf.  (Avogadro is my 4d25tg;  cunixf is an Encore run by
the Columbia computer center.)  Outgoing mail appears to work perfectly both to
other Columbia sites and to remote sites.

This might be related to another problem I have encountered.  If I try to telnet
from avogadro to a machine outside columbia, I get the message: "...Unable to
connect to remote host: Network is unreachable."  But I have no trouble
telnetting or rlogging into cunixf, and telnetting outside from there.

These problems did not occur under IRIX 3.2.

Presumably I should re-instantiate some .O file from the update, or else
instantiate some .N file...  but I don't know which one(s).  Since other people
are getting my mail, I presume sendmail.cf is OK, but for the record the
update created a .N file for this, and I am still using the old one which
worked under 3.2.  For the record, also, I did not change any of these files;
where a .O file was created, I'm using the new version that "install" created,
and where a .N file was created, I'm using the old version that worked under
3.2.  Oh -- one more thing.  My sendmail.cf is set up to use cunixf as the
mailhost.

Any advice?  If so, please either post your response or, obviously, email to
"shenkin@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu".
************************f*u*cn*rd*ths*u*cn*gt*a*gd*jb**************************
Peter S. Shenkin, Department of Chemistry, Barnard College, New York, NY  10027
(212)854-1418  shenkin@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu(Internet)  shenkin@cunixf(Bitnet)
***"In scenic New York... where the third world is only a subway ride away."***

shenkin@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Peter S. Shenkin) (06/07/91)

In article <1991Jun5.164537.9306@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>
  shenkin@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu writes:
  ^^^^^^^ (me again  :-)  )

>I just upgraded from IRIX 3.2 to 3.3, and am having trouble receiving (but not
>sending) Internet mail [[ outside my local (Columbia) network ]].
>                                             ...[[Also, if]] I try to telnet
>from avogadro to a machine outside columbia, I get the message: "...Unable to
>connect to remote host: Network is unreachable."
>
>These problems did not occur under IRIX 3.2.

Several people suggested I should check my routing with "network -r", and
run:
	/usr/etc/route add default <my_gateway> 1

This worked, and I put together a network.local file in /etc/init.d, then
linked it symbolically as described in the comments within /etc/init.d/network.
Everything now works automatically at boot time;  but I still don't understand
why I never had to do this under 3.2.

Thank you, jit@slic.cellbio.duke.edu (Jit Keong Tan) and
dstewart@athena.cs.uga.edu (David Stewart) for pointing me in the right
direction.