[comp.sys.sgi] Preferences = Icon

jpg@NRC3D.NRC.UAB.EDU (Jill Gemmill) (06/06/91)

A recent discussion contained instructions for recording preferred window
locations and how to start programs such as MailBox and Clock out of user.ps.

Is there a way to "iconify" WorkSpace and Console automatically on startup?
(i.e. have them appear on the desktop upon login, but as icons rather than
as open windows).

    Jill Gemmill
    Neurobiology Research Center	    INTERNET: jpg@nrc3d.nrc.uab.edu
    University of Alabama at Birmingham
    Volker Hall G82E			    PHONE: 205-934-7111
    Birmingham Alabama 35294-0019	    FAX: 205-934-6571

dwagon@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (Dougal Scott) (06/07/91)

jpg@NRC3D.NRC.UAB.EDU (Jill Gemmill) writes:

>A recent discussion contained instructions for recording preferred window
>locations and how to start programs such as MailBox and Clock out of user.ps.

>Is there a way to "iconify" WorkSpace and Console automatically on startup?
>(i.e. have them appear on the desktop upon login, but as icons rather than
>as open windows).

I put in my ~/.4sight/console.ps the following line
/consoleStartsIconic /true def
which automatically starts the console as an icon automatically.
For the workspace, you can change the behaviour by changing the files
in ~/WorkSpace. Personally I hate the thing, so I removed all the files in
that directory and it doesn't start up. :)
--
Dougal Scott  - dwagon@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au  Faculty of Computing & Info Tech
Hell hath no fury like a woman born.               Monash University, Caulfield

allenb@gewgaw.csd.sgi.com (Allen M. Buchinski) (06/07/91)

In article <9106061543.AA15218@nrc3d.nrc.uab.edu>, jpg@NRC3D.NRC.UAB.EDU (Jill Gemmill) writes:
|> Is there a way to "iconify" WorkSpace and Console automatically on startup?
|> (i.e. have them appear on the desktop upon login, but as icons rather than
|> as open windows).

Workspace should be smart enough to remember what directories you have
open and whether or not you have them stowed. As long as you have Workspace
starting up automatically this should work.

To get your console stowed when you login, the following in my startup.ps
works nicely:

/consoleStartsIconic /true def

Allen Buchinski
allenb@csd.sgi.com

SCHDAVZ@YaleVM.YCC.Yale.Edu (Dave Schweisguth) (06/11/91)

In article <1991Jun7.132321.22511@odin.corp.sgi.com>, allenb@gewgaw.csd.sgi.com
(Allen M. Buchinski) says:
>In article <9106061543.AA15218@nrc3d.nrc.uab.edu>, jpg@NRC3D.NRC.UAB.EDU (Jill
>Gemmill) writes:
>|> Is there a way to "iconify" WorkSpace and Console automatically on startup?
>|> (i.e. have them appear on the desktop upon login, but as icons rather than
>|> as open windows).
>
>Workspace should be smart enough to remember what directories you have
>open and whether or not you have them stowed. [etc ...]
>
>To get your console stowed when you login, [etc ...]

There are 'special' ways to stow WorkSpace and Console, but is there a general
way for all processes? To pick a semi-dopey example, how could I start up
'clock' as an icon? (Well, it still works as an icon, so maybe it's not so
dopey.) I _think_ the NeWS 'flipiconic' procedure ought to do it, but I can't
get it to go. This may just be bad syntax on my part or a more general limit
on how NeWS works. Can anyone help?
|   Dave Schweisguth               5386 Yale Station           203-436-2694   |
|   schdavz@yalevm.ycc.yale.edu    New Haven, CT 06502-5386                   |