[comp.sys.sgi] Manual pages, nroff, makewhatis, and gman

SCHDAVZ@YaleVM.YCC.Yale.Edu (Dave Schweisguth) (06/14/91)

Our Personal Iris currently has no 'nroff'; the purchaser didn't realize we
needed it. We've been nroffing things on another local Unix system (a Convex
running Convex Unix). The manpages we nroffed (with -man) look just fine when
displayed by man (aside from having the wrong header line), but aren't
recognized by 'makewhatis' or the database-building utilities that come with
'gman'. All other manpages (those formatted by SGI and one on a Sun) work.
    So, is there something simple in the manpage format we can fix, or is this
too heavily dependent on different flavors of 'nroff'? A possible solution is
to replace the header lines, but this sounds too simple to work; I figured I'd
ask the net first. We're probably going to get 'nroff' eventually, but I'd like
to know what's going on in the meantime. Thanks for any input ...
/                                                                             \
|   Dave Schweisguth               5386 Yale Station           203-436-2694   |
|   schdavz@yalevm.ycc.yale.edu    New Haven, CT 06502-5386                   |
\_____________________________________________________________________________/

tpm@ecs.soton.ac.uk (TP Monks) (06/17/91)

In <91165.092700SCHDAVZ@YaleVM.YCC.Yale.Edu> SCHDAVZ@YaleVM.YCC.Yale.Edu (Dave Schweisguth) writes:

>Our Personal Iris currently has no 'nroff'; the purchaser didn't realize we
>needed it. We've been nroffing things on another local Unix system (a Convex

You and many others!

>ask the net first. We're probably going to get 'nroff' eventually, but I'd like
>to know what's going on in the meantime. Thanks for any input ...

When you say 'get' if you mean 'buy', try geting awf for free from
fresnel.stanford.edu.  This will do nroff, neqn, and tbl.

Tim Monks
Southampton University