[comp.sys.sgi] Name Server problem

silvert@cs.dal.ca (Bill Silvert) (06/18/91)

I've set up a name server on my PI for a local ethernet of about half a
dozen PC's while waiting for our connection to Internet, with help from
the net.  I've run into a problem.  The server works OK in that the PC's
can get addresses from it.  But the PI itself can no longer recognize
aliases and requires the fully qualified name, and when I run the
networking tool I get a warning that "your machine may be in an
inconsistent state".  I can't find out were I went wrong.

In more detail, when I set up the system with PC's named ben and jerry,
corresponding to ben.bio.ca and jerry.bio.ca (not real addresses these),
the PI had no problem finding either "ben" or "jerry" after I set up the
network with the system tools.  But then I set up the BIND name-server,
so that ben can execute the command "ftp jerry" and vice versa --
however, now when I execute the command "ftp ben" on the PI I get an
error message "Host name lookup failure", and I have to use the fully
qualified namd "ftp ben.bio.ca".  The PI can answer external queries but
cannot answer the same queries if they come from the PI.  What gives?

By the end of the month I hope to have an Internet connection, and will
need to run as a local nameserver talking to an external one, so I am
really trying to iron out these mysteries.  Help greatly appreciated.
--
William Silvert, Habitat Ecology Division, Bedford Inst. of Oceanography
P. O. Box 1006, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CANADA B2Y 4A2.  Tel. (902)426-1577

mcdonald@AEDC-VAX.AF.MIL (06/18/91)

Since you can't just type in ben or jerry from the PI, this means that your
machine has no domain associated with it.  You can create a /usr/etc/resolv.conf
file or you can put the PI's name in /etc/sys_id as PIname.domain.name.
This should solve your problem.

  vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
  | Kenneth M. McDonald * OAO Corp * Arnold Engineering Development Center |
  |          MS 120 * Arnold AFS, TN 37389-9998 * (615) 454-3413           |
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  INTERNET:
  mcdonald@aedc-vax.af.mil

  LOCAL:
  c60244@ccfiris

silvert@cs.dal.ca (Bill Silvert) (06/19/91)

In article <9106181325.AA23813@ccfiris.aedc> mcdonald@AEDC-VAX.AF.MIL writes:
>Since you can't just type in ben or jerry from the PI, this means that your
>machine has no domain associated with it.
>You can create a /usr/etc/resolv.conf
>file or you can put the PI's name in /etc/sys_id as PIname.domain.name.
>This should solve your problem.

I've tried both.  The second solution doesn't work.  The first does, but
unfortunately it means that I can no longer use the System Manager to
manage the network, since it refuses to run if resolv.conf exists.
Pity, since it is a handy tool for a novice like myself.
--

mcdonald@AEDC-VAX.AF.MIL (06/19/91)

>In article <9106181325.AA23813@ccfiris.aedc> mcdonald@AEDC-VAX.AF.MIL writes:
>>Since you can't just type in ben or jerry from the PI, this means that your
>>machine has no domain associated with it.
>>You can create a /usr/etc/resolv.conf
>>file or you can put the PI's name in /etc/sys_id as PIname.domain.name.
>>This should solve your problem.
>
>I've tried both.  The second solution doesn't work.  The first does, but
>unfortunately it means that I can no longer use the System Manager to
>manage the network, since it refuses to run if resolv.conf exists.
>Pity, since it is a handy tool for a novice like myself.
>--

I have my 4D240 configured as the master nameserver & I have no resolv.conf
file present.  I can also just type in the name of any host that has my
same domain name.  The reason why:
   - Your hostname can be set to a fully-qualified domain name and the
   - resolver software will derive it from there; each hostname will be
   - checked with your domain tacked on the end of it first, then if not
   - yet resolved will take the domain off and try to resolve it.

You can do this by having the name in /etc/sys_id & then doing 1 of the
following:
   - reboot for this name to take effect.
   - use the hostname command to set you hostname:
       % hostname name.domain.name
     (if you use this second method you may have to reload named ?)
This method works fine for us.

In article <9106191246.AA29392@ccfiris.aedc> mcdonald@AEDC-VAX.AF.MIL writes:
>>> you can put the PI's name in /etc/sys_id as PIname.domain.name.
>>>This should solve your problem.
>>
>>I've tried both.  The solution doesn't work.
>
>You can do this by having the name in /etc/sys_id & then doing 1 of the
>following:
>   - reboot for this name to take effect.
>   - use the hostname command to set you hostname:
>       % hostname name.domain.name
>     (if you use this second method you may have to reload named ?)
>This method works fine for us.

Thanks.  Several people suggested modifying /etc/sys_id, but I hadn't
realized that it didn't have any immediate effect.  So I used the
hostname method (a bit less drastic than rebooting!) and all is OK.
I can also use the System Manager again for networking.

Goes to show that when advising novices you may have to include the
stupid little bits that "everybody knows"!