[comp.sys.sgi] Pasting images onto a blank screen

bond@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (RobBob Bond) (06/19/91)

Hello,

I have a simple question regarding placing images cut out from a window onto a
totally blank screen.  If I use icut to get an image how do I display it
without anything else?  Please reply to my e-mail account as I don't get
a chance to review this board quite as often as I would like.

Robert Bond - University of Pennsylvania
Chemical Engineering Labs
Reply to: bond@picasso.seas.upenn.edu

"Wherever you go, there you are"

dmlaur@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (David M. Laur) (06/20/91)

In article <44846@netnews.upenn.edu> bond@picasso.seas.upenn.edu (Robert Bond) writes:

> If I use icut to get an image how do I display it
> without anything else [on the screen]?

The 'pxdraw' program, whose availability I posted a little while back,
will perform this function, it allows you to center an image on the
screen in a screen-filling background (your choice of r,g,b color).

It also has an option for doing the same thing in the 'video area'
i.e. the lower-left quarter of the screen.

To recap the earlier posting:

Several useful image conversion/display routines are available
(as exectubles only) from gauguin.princeton.edu int the file
pub/pxtools.tar.Z.  The utilities read image files in the following
formats:
  TIFF, GIF, SGI, PBM, Xwd, Sun, Alias, Targa, HDF, and sim

they can be displayed on the IRIS screen, converted to SGI or TIFF
storage formats, or converted to an Encapsulated PostScript page
description (rgb or grayscale).  There's even a few manual pages.

For reasons of fear and loathing the utilities are available only
for the SGI platform and only as executables.

David Laur                                  It is absurd to divide people
Princeton University                        into good and bad; people are
Interactive Computer Graphics Lab           either charming or tedious.
dmlaur@princeton.edu                                - Oscar Wilde