[comp.sys.sgi] SGI & Video Decks-Frames to Video...need Advice !

tholland@amy.skidmore.edu (06/18/91)

We need some BASIC help.  We have an SGI using TDI software and are
trying to figure out how to get our VLAN to control a video tape deck
and "automatically" dump our rendered frames to the video.  This is our
first time in trying to dump frames to video and we need advice as
to what to do.  All suggestions are welcomed including:

what type of hardware should we have in addition to the SGI itself
what type of VLAN
what type of VIDEO DECK !!! (this one is key I think !)
Suppliers for such equipment, especially video.
A kind person who has dumped SGI/TDI stuff to video before who
can guied our early steps here.

**sync signals and SGI/TDI AND Audio
Audio/video sync (MIDI etc.)

General and specific info welcomed.

Many thanks in advance.

Anthony G. Holland
Associate Professor
Skidmore College

email to: tholland@pars.skidmore.edu

jeffg@sgi.com (Jeff C. Glover) (06/20/91)

In article <1159.285dfd28@amy.skidmore.edu> tholland@amy.skidmore.edu writes:
    >We need some BASIC help.  We have an SGI using TDI software and are
    >trying to figure out how to get our VLAN to control a video tape deck
    >and "automatically" dump our rendered frames to the video.  This is our
    >first time in trying to dump frames to video and we need advice as
    >to what to do.  All suggestions are welcomed including:
    >
    >what type of hardware should we have in addition to the SGI itself

You'll need some sort of hardware to output the frames.  VideoCreator
and VideoFramer are both SGI products that accomplish the frame output,
as are the BVO and CVG.  There are other, outside products, including
some by Folsom Research, RGB Technologies as well as Lyon-Lamb.

You'll also need a source of stable video signal for Genlock for the
system.

    >what type of VLAN

VLAN depends on the deck.

    >what type of VIDEO DECK !!! (this one is key I think !)

You'll need a frame accurate VCR.  Which one depends on your needs.
Contact Sony, JVC, Panasonic - Industrial equipment, not consumer.

Also, a plug here for good tapes!  You'll find that the K-Mart variety
SVHS tapes don't cut it.  You'll have much more consistent results
with tapes that the VCR vendor recommends.

There wasn't enough info in your post to be more specific.  What I use
here at SGI for testing VideoFramer software releases includes a JVC
BRS-810U S-VHS recorder, a VideoMedia VLAN receiver box for that deck,
a Tektronix TSG100 NTSC Television Signal Generator for Genlock, and a
Sony PVM-1342Q Video Monitor for watching the action.  Your needs may
vary, this isn't a recommendation.

Jeff
jeffg@loki.asd.sgi.com